Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 3:15 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2021 7:34 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I have a home-built solo kayak that I've managed to install a Hobie mirage drive in. I've also just purchased all the parts I need to install a twist & stow rudder on it. If possible, I'd like to rig it so that a single line pull/release controls both up/down much like my Hobie Mirage Compass Duo does. Thus only one line to pull instead of two. Any suggestions on how to rig this?

I'm guessing that the down control line would be rigged as usual. The down control line would run directly to a below-deck cheek block and emerge thru the deck, with a t-handle, to a cam-cleat. A bungee would pull in the slack when the rudder is up. In short, pulling the line and securing it in the cam cleat makes the rudder go down and stay down.

The up rudder control line would be connected to a sturdy/tight bungee cord attached to a pad-eye under the deck. This way the up control line would not require any manual pulling. When the "down" line is released, the bungee on the up control line would cause the rudder to go up.

What do you think? Any suggestions, thoughts, & guidance would be greatly appreciated!

Thx!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2021 1:33 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

The 2005 Outback I owned had a simple lever for both up and down movement, plus could be set to either down-lock or down-unlock (for shallow water operation. I liked it better than the pull lines. There may have been some issues with it that I'm not aware of that caused Hobie to move to the pull lines.