Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 1:10 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: best kayak for me?
PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2022 7:49 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hi all, I was just looking for some advice on what kayak would be best for me. I have done a little paddling here and there but I find that either I'm too wobbly or need a more stable yak, taking into consideration I'm 6'1 & 105kg with a high cog. What suggestions would you have for a rec/fish platform mainly for rivers and estuaries, on a pretty tight budget (cooks rules), and will need to be fairly durable. someone suggest me best kayak for fishing can you guys recommend ma one?

Last edited by malaika on Fri Aug 26, 2022 12:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: best kayak for me?
PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2022 1:23 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Since you are starting out and have limited funds, the Hobie Mirage Passport 12R at $1869 is a really good bang for the buck value and comes with the Mirage Drive GT and kick up fins.
I would also purchase/upgrade to a pair of turbo fins and save the GT fins as spares. Maybe another $200 ???
So for a price point entry kayak, with the roto molded hull, today I would buy this model.

With more $$, the Outback is a great fishing platform but the MSRP is $3449. It has many more features, and it's hard to beat.

If you want a tank, the Hobie PA-14 is it at a MSRP of $4449. I bought a PA-14 in 2012 (a new 2013 model) after 3 years with a 2010 Outback. Still have the PA-14 and love it.

Last edited by Dr.SteelheadCatcher on Wed Aug 17, 2022 9:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: best kayak for me?
PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2022 4:30 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I am 104 kg's and use an outback, I fish the ocean which can get rough at times but find the outback very stable. But since budget is a consideration I agree with the previous post.

Also, keep an eye out for second hand. Quality kayaks like Hobie last many years (if not abused), but sold second hand often go for considerable discount.