Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:33 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2022 6:09 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Well, I had an interesting waste of two days. I recently purchased a PA-14 here in California and was advised that if I installed a motor or a sail, I would have to register it at the DMV. Well, I bought a Hobie sail kit, read up on the boat registration laws, and determined that any vessel over 8 feet long with a sail had to be registered with the California DMV.

So armed with my MSO, receipt of purchase, and the completed DMV form BOAT 101, I was off to the DMV without an appointment, because registering a boat wasn’t an option for appointments. Once I got there, I waited about an hour and half before being called to the counter. Once there, the lady made me pay for my fees, some extra taxes, and the quagga mussel stamp and then she gave me the registration stickers and an official registration.

Good to go, or so I thought. About two weeks later, I got a letter from the DMV informing me my registration was incomplete and that I need to return to DMV. Once again, no appointment could be made as boat issues are not an option.

Once there, after another hour and a half, I got called up. The lady looked over the paperwork, walked away, and came back about 15 minutes later. She then informed me that my registration had been rejected by the DMV. She looked at me like I was an idiot, and told me that I had a kayak and not a sailboat and that kayaks don’t qualify for registration. I showed her the part in the DMV site where it said any vessel over 8 feet long with a sail, and she explained, a sailboat yes, but NOT KAYAKS!! So I quit arguing at that point. They refunded me my money and told me that I could come back to register my kayak if I ever installed a motor.

I tried….

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2022 12:22 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Wait!!! Are you saying you got money back from the CA DMV?? I have NEVER heard of that happening! By the way, my CA registration was $170 for a 15 year old pickup truck. Moved to Tennessee in 2019. Guess how much my 15 year old truck's registration was? Same as my 2019 brand new Rav-4. $29. Each. Guess who's governor just waived all of next year's vehicle registration fees due to budget overage? Yup, Tennessee's. Guess who pays ZERO state income tax? Hint: Same state that has no gas tax, few parking meters, cheap property tax and $10 parking tickets with ZERO add-on fees? Guess where park and beach and lake parking is free? Yup. Tennessee.

Hobie would do well to GTFO outta O'Side. A LOT of major boat companies build on Tellico Lake in the Loudon / Vonore area of TN: Mastercraft, Yamaha Jet Boats, Sea Ray HCB, and Malibu are the major ones. With fishing becoming more and more of the kayak market - and most of that probably done on still waters - HQ-ing on a clean, beautiful lake (that is not in the western US and dropping rapidly towards Deadpool - talking about Powell, Mead, and Shasta) is not a bad idea.

Last edited by Puto on Sat Aug 20, 2022 7:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2022 3:03 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

I've had a half dozen proper sailboats (motorless) and it never occurred to me to register them. I normally sail in very unpatrolled areas. When selling a couple, I checked feasibility for buyers to register if desired. Rules were tightened recently, maybe copy of CA ones, and it looked like catch22s would prevent registration of mine. I warned my buyers but they had no intention of registering or even accepting my receipt for their cash. We were pretty much upright citizens with paperwork for all motorized stuff, but fed up trying to navigate the minefield for harmless little boats. I guess it's too low on lawmakers radar to straighten out the rule spaghetti.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2022 7:04 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

We use our Oasis with electric motor and sail in several states. In most of these states if you add "mechanical propulsion" to a kayak it becomes a motorized vessel requiring registration and is no longer a kayak. But having only a sail on a kayak is less clear as the laws usually say registration is required for all sailboats or sailboats over a certain length, with another section saying kayaks are exempted from registration, but no specific clause that says adding a sail to a kayak makes it a sailboat and not a kayak. This is all further confused by most states not requiring in-state registration if you are just visiting and your kayak meets the registration laws of your home state. In one state (not my home state) I had to pay for a temporary permit to use an unregistered kayak (with no motor or sails) on a state park lake, but my out-of-state registered Oasis was okay without a permit.

Peter

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2023 8:27 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

For an efficient boat registration lookup, gather all required documents and info. Compile Proof of Ownership, Hull ID, Vessel Documentation Number, Proof of Identity, and fees.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2023 3:30 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Ensure a hassle-free California boating experience by registering your boat.