Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 11:52 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2022 12:17 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

IIRC, the Passport came out a couple years ago as the "value" model, to bring the brand to an entry level audience in the hopes of maturing them over time into repeat customer into higher quality kayaks. In order to do this, they used a pretty basic mirage drive, and a thermofoiled hull formation, essentially two pieces "plastic welded" together.

I just noticed the current Passport is rotomolded and the price is several hundred dollars more than the original passport. Did Hobie find the thermofoil process unsuccessful? Was it quality or manufacturing process issues?

Puto.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2022 4:19 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Hobie has provided no reason for the switch to rotomolding. Some speculation from myself can be found in this thread:
https://www.hobie.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=142&t=70093

Peter

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2022 5:48 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

y rotomolded seems like the way to go. I love my passport, but still can't figure out why the rotomolded is same weight and price as passport?

I chose the passport bc the internal storage options are much greater than the compass design, And at the time cheaper. I was most concerned with the fact that the passport wasn't rotomolded, but still liked the design better than the compass, so went thermoformed

I am guessing overseas shipping now a big component in price. While I have had no issues with my thermoformed (and loving my customized storage options) I would buy rotomolded in a second assuming it still has the same internal storage space.

Happy yakking!