Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 12:19 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2023 9:44 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I need to get a Manufacturer's Statement of Origin (MSO) for my kayak for registration, my dealership went out of business ( Austin canoe and kayak) where and how can I get one?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2023 10:03 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I would contact another Hobie dealer. Normally, Hobie provides an MSO only to the selling dealer. But given ACK went out of business, I would think they'd be willing to send it to another dealer if you have proof of purchase. Perhaps someone from Hobie will chime in to confirm.

NOTE TO ALL PERSPECTIVE KAYAK BUYERS: Always ask for the MSO from your dealer when you complete a purchase. I am not sure why most dealers don't just provide it as part of the sale but best to have it in case you ever need it.

Peter

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2023 7:37 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Let me know if you find out. My grandpa was given a pa14 last year from his buddy. His buddy passed away recently and we cannot for the life of us figure out how to get the MO since we don't know what dealership he got It from and even if we could since his friend has passed now it's starting to seem like we will never be able to get a motor on it and register it in the state of California. He's getting up there in age and I would love to get him a trolling motor, but the last thing I want to do is suggest selling the last memory of his friend to get him something that he can put a motor on.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2023 2:22 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Reach out to Hobie. They can probably provide the MSO. I've done the same with Jackson and Wilderness when I've bought used kayaks.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2023 11:01 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Lot of luck to all getting MSO

Mykayla Goetz <[email protected]

To: Liz Wells <[email protected]>
Mon 1/30/2023 3:58 PM
Hi,

Unfortunately, we would not be able to release MSO documents from closed or out of business dealerships.

If the dealership where the boat was sold is closed and no longer in business, and it is not possible to request the MSO from the dealership, the customer will need to file for a "lost (or never registered) title" in the state where they are registering the boat.

Please let me know if you have any questions. Thank you,

Hobie Cat Co.
Mykayla Goetz Dealer Support Associate
4925 Oceanside Blvd., Oceanside, CA 92056
p: 760-758-9100 x209
hobie.com

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2023 3:31 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I really don't understand why Hobie wouldn't provide you a copy of the MSO, particularly if you can provide them a copy of your original bill of sale. As I said above, I've had other kayak manufacturers provide a MSO on used kayaks I've purchased.

You mentioned ACK. If you are in Texas and need to register your kayak because you're putting a motor on it, perhaps these instructions from TPP might help: https://texaspowerpaddle.com/wp-content ... ctions.pdf There is also a link in those instructions to the TPW requirements.

FYI, some Texas counties now offer vessel registration at their regular taxing offices, saving you the previous requirement of going to a TPW office. I've never had any issues with TPW; but I know of others that "shopped" TPW offices until they found reasonable cooperation.

Personally, I'd take all the required paperwork for a used kayak, the original bill of sale (showing you paid sales tax), AND the Hobie MSO email to either your county or TPW office.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2023 3:15 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Creek stone,
Thank you for your information and link.