Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:14 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2014 10:28 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Many years ago I bought the V1 complete setup for the AI and it is still working well. On July 2013 I bought a V2 Evolve cable kit from Austin Kayak for $175 for use in the Hobie Oasis, and once again everything was fine until I noticed the drive cable falling apart.

The much older original cable is fine. The smaller cable (controller) which lays right next to the V2 cable inside the Oasis is also just fine. I store all my hulls upside down and car top them that way, so even if there were a little water in the Oasis hull the cables would not be laying in the water for very long.

The cable still functions but very soon all the rubber casing will just fall away leaving the wiring exposed. I assumed the marine grade cable would not do this. I understand Evolve drives are very sensitive to poor connections.
I have many upcoming trips some next week in fact and I need to depend on the Evolve

Is this a manufacturing defect? Would it be a warranty item?

I love my Evolve drive and this is the only problem I have had and I'm not sure even how that level of degradation is even possible. I don't store anything volatile or caustic inside the hull.

Any thoughts?

Thanks

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2014 11:33 am 
Site Admin

Contact the dealer who sold the cable to you or contact Torqeedo direct. Torqeedo parts of the eVolve (hobie mounting system) are warrantied by Torqeedo direct.

http://www.torqeedo.com/us/electric-outboard

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2014 12:27 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

mmiller wrote:
Contact the dealer who sold the cable to you or contact Torqeedo direct. Torqeedo parts of the eVolve (hobie mounting system) are warrantied by Torqeedo direct.

Thanks.

If the cable jacket failed in just one small spot I'd use electrical tape or shoe goo or something to patch the wound.
However the entire length of cable is affected. Had to have been happening for a while as this kind of decay doesn't occur overnight.

I emailed Austin Kayaks with pics, and my forum post along with your suggestion. I will let you know the results.

The smaller cable next to it is pristine by comparison. Why the big cable fell apart is a real mystery. I always remove the battery when I put the boat up.

The cables are quite pricey, but understandable a specialty item. Leave it to me to have the most unique issues - :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2014 9:32 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I had a similar incident. I dropped a large silica pack into the hull to absorb the water/moisture and two weeks later the cable looked like yours. A new cable cost me somewhere around $99 from Hobie.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2014 7:21 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

mmiller wrote:

Thanks Matt. All taken care of by Torqueedo.