Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 11:57 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 3:04 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I noticed in the announcement for the 2009 kayak product line that all kayaks will now come with the Click-n-Go mount for the MirageDrive.

I'd appreciate if anyone could provide any input on how well this system works. I'd like to understand why the change was made and in what ways it may be better than the original cam lock mounting and also if there's any disadvantages. To me, it does look easier to insert the drive unit but may be harder to remove it (for example, while sailing). Also I wonder if there might be an issue with sand getting into the mechanism and fouling it.

Thanks,

jbr

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 3:16 pm 
Site Admin

I would think that sand or grit will be the only possible negative. Doesn't seem to have been much of a factor in the inflatable boats though (they have had a similar system since last year). We did lots of testing and designed around sand and grit.

The click-n-go is easier in and out. Very simple and quick.

Better too that the locking system does not require good hand dexterity and strength to get the drive locked tightly in or get it out. I would think that this is very important in cold weather. Cold hands make turning the knobs harder.

Better in that the system doesn't flex open like the knobs can under heavy loads.

Better in that the hull molding is simpler and the cam bolt column is done away with. That is hard to mold and is highly stressed.

Seems the Click-n-go is a Plus-Plus-Plus!

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 12:59 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks Matt for the great reply about Click-n-Go.
I just want to be sure it is relatively easy and quick to remove the MirageDrive with Click-n-Go while actually under sail, even in moderate to higher winds, since in those conditions you only may have only a few seconds to attend to something inside the boat rather than steering or sheeting etc.
So, while seated and underway, is it relatively easy to use one hand to release both levers while using the the other hand to pull out the drive?
Thanks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 10:18 am 
Site Admin

Yes... VERY easy. Nothing like the knob system.

Flip, flip... pull.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 4:29 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

That's great! Here in Nebraska the rivers have lots of sand bars. I now tether my drive so I can remove it and not lose it in a dump. But it is very tricky to try to remove the drive while floating ...especially as the river current is pulling you closer to the shallows. Am looking forwards to the click. Can that be retrofitted to the older yaks (probably not)?

thomas