Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 2:19 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2008 3:06 pm 
Hobie Approved Guru

As most realize, the Turbofin kit includes longer masts to replace your originals. All 2009 masts are threaded instead of pinned in, and will be difficult to remove because the factory sets them very tight in addition to using a thread locker.

If you find that a screwdriver is inadequate to unscrew the standard masts, a Vise-grip / screwdriver combination may be required. Use a rag in the Vise-grip jaws to prevent scoring the surface of the masts and really set the grips tight. If necessary, you can line two Vise-grips up next to each other. Penetrating oil will be of no use since it does not penetrate the thread locker.

When you install your new masts, make sure everything is clean and dry and use plenty of Locktite (blue) thread locker. Insert them firmly with a screwdriver -- no need to use the vise grips.

Note: Be sure your dealer orders the '09 kit or you'll get the wrong masts! 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2008 3:59 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

While the old turbo masts are probably still available, I don't think Hobie is shipping the old turbo fin kits anymore. Only the new V2 kits.

I could be wrong. There's been a lot of email from Hobie lately as we enter the new model year.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2008 12:41 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Roadrunner wrote:
As most realize, the Turbofin kit includes longer masts to replace your originals. All 2009 masts are threaded instead of pinned in, and will be difficult to remove because the factory sets them very tight in addition to using a thread locker.

If you find that a screwdriver is inadequate to unscrew the standard masts, a Vise-grip / screwdriver combination may be required. Use a rag in the Vise-grip jaws to prevent scoring the surface of the masts and really set the grips tight. If necessary, you can line two Vise-grips up next to each other. Penetrating oil will be of no use since it does not penetrate the thread locker.

When you install your new masts, make sure everything is clean and dry and use plenty of Locktite (blue) thread locker. Insert them firmly with a screwdriver -- no need to use the vise grips.

Note: Be sure your dealer orders the '09 kit or you'll get the wrong masts! 8)

I should have read this beofre replacing the factory fins with the turbo fins. Actually I started to replace them on the evening of 12th and did not feel good about how tight they were. Today I took them to the dealer (if anyone broke them it was not going to be me) and they were surprised how tight they were though we got them off. Tonight I completed the installation of the new Turbo fins. I cleaned the threads by using a cordless drill holding the Turbo Mast and tightening / loosening it. I would stop, remove the mast and blow the threads clean. I did this until the threads were clean. Used Blue Loc-Tite during the final installation and tightened it with a large flat screwdriver.

Hobie could make this process easier by using MUCH LESS Loc-Tite and designing the mast with a hex near the threaded end. This would allow a wrench to be used for removal and installation. The use of factory Loc-Tite is just unnecessary. Hobie save yourself some money and dab the end, maybe two threads, of the mast in Loc-Tite before installation.

The mast threads are 3/16" deep with brass insert being approximately 3/8" deep. Kudos to Hobie for supporting the mast beyond the threads.

I plan on keeping an eye on the new Turbo Masts to make sure they continue to be tight.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2008 12:45 am 
Site Rank - Captain

The Dog wrote:
While the old turbo masts are probably still available, I don't think Hobie is shipping the old turbo fin kits anymore. Only the new V2 kits.

I could be wrong. There's been a lot of email from Hobie lately as we enter the new model year.

Adventure Sports just (last week) recieved their Hobie order and were shipped the older style turbo fin kits. I got to see these while we were digging through the Hobie order for all of the accessories I ordered.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2008 6:01 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

tomatocity wrote:
The Dog wrote:

Adventure Sports just (last week) recieved their Hobie order and were shipped the older style turbo fin kits. I got to see these while we were digging through the Hobie order for all of the accessories I ordered.

Then I'm wrong. It must be something else that they're not shipping... Maybe the older sprockets. The emails are at work and I'm at home.

I know we've only got the new style kits. And aren't there new part numbers for the V2 stuff?

Like I said... Too many emails lately... From all the vendors.

Update:

When in doubt....

I just logged into the dealer page (should have done that last night).

There is a new part number for the V2 Turbo Fin Kit - 72066001 ST-TURBO FIN KIT V2 – THREADED $79.95. The old part number is 72065something.

It is the old sprockets that were discontinued and probably out of stock by now.

Sorry for my confusion.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2008 1:59 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I don't think they plan on keeping the old style kit since that is not what they ordered. The idea of the threaded fin masts seems to be a good idea. Having the the fin mast (above the threads) supported by the brass insert seems like another good idea. Hopefully this cures whatever problem Hobie was encountering.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 9:25 am 
Site Admin

The Dog wrote:
It is the old sprockets that were discontinued and probably out of stock by now.

Actually... we will be stocking the old sprockets (with set screw) for a few years. We are just out of them right now as they run the new version in the molds. We have to wait until the run is complete and then they will convert the mold back to the old style. Should be another 3 weeks unfortunately.

We also will continue to offer the 72065 Turbo Fin kit as there are 10s upon 10s of 1,000s of drives out there that they will fit.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 2:00 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

mmiller wrote:
The Dog wrote:

Actually... we will be stocking the old sprockets (with set screw) for a few years. We are just out of them right now as they run the new version in the molds. We have to wait until the run is complete and then they will convert the mold back to the old style. Should be another 3 weeks unfortunately.

We also will continue to offer the 72065 Turbo Fin kit as there are 10s upon 10s of 1,000s of drives out there that they will fit.

So when you posted this on the dealer website back in July, it was a lie?:

Quote:
The older style sprockets will soon be out of stock and discontinued. Future sprocket replacements will require the replacement of a V2 mast to match.

Or did you change your mind yet again?

It's no wonder I'm confused... The story keeps changing! :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 3:30 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

That's pretty mean-spirited response, don't you think?

Seems to me that the Hobie rep tries to help with issues on many forums. Calling him a liar reflects badly on you.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 4:38 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Hey Warefisher...

Since you're new here, why don't you do some research before you start pointing fingers. Matt and I have fun poking at each other fairly frequently for awhile now. Him being the old man that he is, he has trouble with his memory sometimes. And I like to point it out for him. :lol:

Trust me... He gets even. Boy howdy, does he get even.

So relax. Do some reading and learn something from all the great people posting here. Heck.... Even I put in a good post from time to time.

Cheers

Last edited by The Dog on Mon Sep 15, 2008 8:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 6:39 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Very sorry - I didn't recognize the humor.

I'll try to relax in my new Revolution.

Cheers.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 7:22 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Warefisher wrote:
I'll try to relax in my new Revolution.

Ok.... Now you're making me angry. Everybody out there has a nice new Mirage yak, and I'm stuck with my 8 year old (cough, cough....) paddling yak. And now you're bragging about your new Mirage yak!

DANG!

(see.... sense of humor)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 9:16 am 
Site Admin

The Dog wrote:
Or did you change your mind yet again?

Yeah, sorry Dog... I changed my mind... rather I changed the minds of others here to make this happen. I had been told that it was not possible to run the older style sprocket. It didn't make sense to force users to have to upgrade to the new sprockets AND masts due to a damaged older sprocket. The price difference was a lot. Sooo.... I convinced purchasing to get us the older sprockets. This makes upgrades an option rather than a force.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 10:06 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Actually, I agree with you. Seemed ill-advised to discontinue the old sprocket. We've not seen that many failures - maybe a dozen. Sold lots of spares though. I'll remove the NLA in our system.

Sometimes the good guys win, hey?