Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:35 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Gear Storage box
PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 6:15 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

So, I am in the concept stage of making a crate to hold all my kayak gear. This will be a wood crate attached to my trailer designed to hold two drives, seats, paddles, anchor, lifejackets and some spare parts. I suspect that someone on this list has done the same thing. The box needs to be about 50" x 20" x 12" deep. I am wondering how to pack all that stuff into a box that size and still adequately support the drives in particular. I am sure I can come up with something but I would love to see what others have done. The box needs to go a long distance with rough roads.

Thanks in Advance

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 8:41 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I went to the local Sprawl-Mart, or maybe it was Target and purchased a couple of large plastic totes that have wheels, and the lid has two clasps that lock it in place. I wheel this out of the garage and toss it in the back of the truck. With my Outback and only 1 set of pedals, everything fits in the 1 tote. It's large, but manageable. The only things that don't fit in are paddles, sail kit, cart, and fishing poles. The rest stores neatly away and easy to put up when I get home.

Just remember to pop the lid off so it gets some fresh air as things come off my kayak a little wet most of the time. My son found our the hard way when his seat had mildew because he left his container sealed up for a couple of weeks. Smelled real nice too..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 5:55 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Hey Keith,
What I finally settled on for my trailer storage/transport box was a small locking pickup tool box from Pep Boys, 60x17x12" deep. It turned out to be a perfect fit for my trailer (Trailex SUT-250), and can hold all the Hobie gear for two people (not including fishing stuff). This includes two Mirage drives, 2 paddles, 2 Hobie seats (earlier fanny pack models), poling stick, light pole, locking cables, tool pouch, 2 PFDs, 2 Hobie water bottles, 2 towels, 2 LED headlamps and flashlights, some paracord, duct tape, and WD-40, plus other assorted odds 'n ends.

Here's a side view of the trailer with the tool box mounted on the rear.

Here is a closer view of the box.

Finally, here is the box packed with all the gear listed above from a recent trip down the Gulf Coast of N. Florida. When I return from a trip, everything comes out for a freshwater wash down, complete drying, and a WD-40 spray down of the Mirage drives with WD-40.

Hope this helps.
Best,
Dick

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 5:49 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks, Dick, that is indeed what fills the bill. Do you recall what type of truck that is designed to fit?

Do you do anything special to support the drives, fins in particular to prevent distortion or is that not something to worry about?

Keith

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 9:19 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Yea Keith,
As I recall the box was designed to fit small pickups like the Ranger truck. It was on sale for $99 at the time I got mine, including the lock, so the price was right. However, I checked every place nearby to see what was available. Most of the boxes seemed designed to fit full sized truck beds however.

Nothing special needed to support the fins, however, I did have to stack them on edge sort of at an angle so I could close the lid. Takes a couple of re-jiggling attempts before everything settles into place and I can get the lid locked. Works great, however.
Best,
Dick

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 3:33 pm 
Hobie Approved Guru

I concur with Apalach if you're using standard fins. ST and Turbofins tend to stretch along the trailing edges though, if resting on uneven surfaces, especially in heat. Although fully functional, this compromises some of their performance IMO.

One solution is a sleeve. My fins are always sleeved when not on the boat -- this works quite well. When they come off the water, the fins are toweled off and a cardboard sleeve is slipped on:

If you're storing in a moist environment though, cardboard would not be your best choice of materials. Perhaps a riveted plastic or Mylar enclosure? 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 6:32 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Good points from Roadrunner. As he noted, the original stock fins are pretty sturdy and not prone to stretching, so that was what I was referring to mainly. However, I have gone to the ST fins on one of my Mirage drives, but have not noticed any unusual stretching or damage as yet. But if these fins were in contact with the sides of the box on a midsummer day and it got very hot inside, I hesitate to say what the effect might be.

However, I do have a couple of heavy towels on the bottom of the box, and the fins themselves are kind of suspended in the box at an angle so they aren't actually touching the surrounding metal. Although I have not noticed a problem as yet, Roadrunner's caution about this should certainly be heeded. Perhaps wrapping a couple of towels around the fins, or RR's sleeves might be an excellent precaution in the meantime.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 3:30 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

It would be simple enough to put a piece of plywood on the floor and use measured blocks to set the drives on. This would hold them in place and level. If you want you can cover them with another piece of plywood.
Don't forget to carry a jug of water, can of WD-40, and a clean rag to rinse, lube, and wipe the drives.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 5:04 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

As posted above, I also use a plastic tote. Stanley makes a really cool one used to move power tools from site to site. It may not be big enough for you though. It is 37X23X23. It has wheels and a convenient handle to roll it around. It also has two depressions on the top to strap it down. It is very strong. I have purchased a few plastic totes before at Walmart and Target but they crack especially the Sterling brand. Rubbermaid is good though.

037025R - Stanley® Mobile Tool Chest

I think I paid $60

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 6:43 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

http://www.stanleytools.com/default.asp ... Tool+Chest