Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 1:40 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2008 5:56 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hello everyone, I wonder if anyone has installed the bimini top and if so how did you do it and how is it working out?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2008 12:32 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

i've wondered about this too. it seems that a bimini or even an umbrella will be more of a sail than anything else???

Post subject: bimini top
PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2008 3:20 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

We bought one for each of our kayaks recently, so I guess we will have forsthand experience. We do alot of fishing in the mangroves in the gulf of mexico and it can get pretty hot there! Hence the reason for the bimini. We had been carrying umbrellas but decided to give this a go to free up the hands. We will post our experience here once they are installed, I will also post pics. We are planning another fishing trip in November and hope to have everything installed and ready by then.

Superwave wrote:
i've wondered about this too. it seems that a bimini or even an umbrella will be more of a sail than anything else???

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2008 3:45 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

i usually just wear one of those big lifeguard hats.
have a good trip katwoman. i'd like to hear about it and hopefully you can post some pics.

Post subject: bimini mount
PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2008 9:15 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I work for a hobie dealer, and have done quiet a few. if You follow the directions that come with the mount and the bimini, it should take no more than a half hour. measure twice drill once 3/8 drill bit for the wellnuts

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 11:49 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I just finished up two weeks on the water with the AI..one week down the San Juan River in Utah from Clay Hills Crossing and then one week up Lake Powell to Halls Crossing. Just before leaving a neighbor in the area that has a recumbent bicycle and rides with 2-3 parrots and two terriers came by with his umbrella shaded system...

Needless to say I liked his system and asked him about it....Seems a good size golf umbrella with SPF 50 and vents for wind and a lifetime warranty was in my future...Cost @$35. Only thing was I did not have enough time to develop an adapter for it. Turns out I did not need one. When fully loaded with my Igloo Cooler and gear riding up against the Hobie seat I was able to just run it in back of my seat...( I got the umbrella with a fat 1-1/2" round handle not the crook shepard type).. The top of the umbrella would go up just high enough to fit under both lines for the sail and the back end of the umbrella would sit on the rear of the cooler providing much needed shade for me in the front and my Terrier Miska on the cooler seat.