Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 3:43 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Cassette Plug
PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 8:34 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Does anyone have any tips on paddling a Mirage Oasis Tandem without the drives installed? My husband and I often take friends out and sometimes children. We are always concerned about damage to the drives when inexperienced people beach the kayak. We have tried different lanyards and removing the drive for take off and landings (not something we want children doing) and tried using the cassette plugs, but the kayak doesn't seem to track very well without the drives installed, even with the larger twist and stow rudder.

Post subject: Outback Tracking
PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 5:31 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I got caught in shallow water in Tampa Bay in a rain storm on my first outing in my Outback. I pulled the drive, pulled the rudder up and started paddling in multiple directions. It was like trying to paddle a washtub. Obviously, the Hobie Mirage hulls were made for peddling not paddling.

Post subject: Re: Outback Tracking
PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 8:23 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Clermont7 wrote:
Obviously, the Hobie Mirage hulls were made for peddling not paddling.

I would agree with you C7 -with one exception! :wink:
The Adventure is a great paddler. I regularly pull the drive and rudder and paddle it for enjoyment/exercise. To a lesser extent the Revo is an OK paddler as well though some have reported tracking problems with the rudder up.
BB-Before I got my Adventure (AI) I soloed the Oasis for about a year and would occasionally paddle it for exercise but it wasn't enjoyable and wasn't really a long distance option. My wife and I have paddled our Oasis on trips where the water is extremely shallow/rocky and we went OK. I can't recall any tracking problems. Tandems can be difficult to paddle and it does take practice to get synchronised properly. The hull width and height above water level is what makes paddling difficult. A better quality paddle may help.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 3:09 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Stringy, when you said you and your wife "paddled our Oasis on trips where the water is extremely shallow/rocky and we went OK. I can't recall any tracking problems." Did you have the drives installed or not, if not, were the cassette plugs installed? We have great paddles and paddle in sync really well, so I don't think those are our issues.

My husband calls the oasis tandem a "buttertub" so I am not surprised that C7 calls his a "washtub".

I would like to hear what mark miller says about this subject!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2008 2:37 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I have an Outfitter, Which has the same hull contour as the outback, and an adventure also. the difference in the hulls is huge. I've found the adventure very easy to paddle in skinny water. I use my pedal bunji to hold the flippers up and have had no troubles paddling. But the outfitter is another story. the hull is a lot wider the sides are squared off like the outback. the Hobie paddle that came with the boat is almost too short, but I will say that the outback and outfitter hulls are a lot more roll stable than the faster Adventure or Oasis Tandem. I studied the hulls and bought my outfitter because it is more stable, and safer to use when taking out the Grand kids or going out with my better half.My Adventure on the other hand was deal I couldn't refuse and it is my HOT ROD FISHIN Boat., I just put the sidekick AMAs on it to keep from drownin myself when I have the sail up. In any case, the HOBIE line is the top of the line in my book. Just study before you buy, you won't be sorry.
I also read somewher of weighting the front of your boat when using a tandem single to get the nose down, maybe this will help when taking the kids out. Ill take some bottom pics and post them when I get the chance.
This may be the reason for the tracking problem as I seem to remember seeing the oasis hull bottom and it is very rounded and slick with no "chines" in the bottom to help with the tracking...Maybe something to include in mods for future models?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 3:54 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

bbmombo,
We have done both -paddling with drives in and tucked up and with drives removed and plugs in. The only difference I have noticed is one of speed. With drives removed we can paddle about 1.5km/h faster. When paddling I usually raise the rudder. We have come from a much longer and narrower tandem that didn't have a rudder and that was a pain to keep straight. We have found the Oasis (ours is actually an 06 Tandem) much easier to keep straight. We only paddle it though when the water is too shallow or obstacle ridden. Have you tried paddling with the rudder raised? An out of adjustment rudder can cause tracking problems.
As far as beaching is concerned we have stopped running it aground and now get out in knee deep water and insert the cart while still on the water. This technique eliminates possible drive damage if you forget to bungee the pedal back. :wink:

bbuchorn,
Roadrunner has posted some pics of the Oasis hull bottom here:
http://www.hobiecat.com/community/viewtopic.php?t=11144