Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 11:24 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: My 2008 Hobie Outback
PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2009 7:46 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I have a 2008 Hobie Outback had it a year now. Put a Hobie Anchor Trolley on it last week. Bought a Hobie Stake Out Stick. A new sailing rudder even though I don't sail. Fisherman report it as being great. The 2008 is a perfect design for my applications. I went to Austin Canoe And Kayak and looked at the new 2009 the new rudder system seems to take up a lot of space. Space that I use to store lures. The bottom looks different also. I pray that nothing ever happens to my hull because I know that Hobie would replace it with a 2009. The one thing I don't like about the big rudder is that it feels like it is going to break something deploying it. I also bought a Hobie Handle for my paddle. I only use the paddle at the launch site. I wonder if Hobie makes a set of seawings like malone that would fit the bottom perfectly? I am one satisfied dude with my yak. I will never recommend any other brand.
Brazos

PS. I wonder where you can get Hobie Brand bungee ends? I seen them once and I haven't been able to locate them since

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2009 7:23 pm 
Hobie Approved Guru

With the sailing rudder, I usually flip it open by hand part way when launching so there is no lifting. When retracting, it's really easy to lift if it is properly adjusted and you wiggle it up. Dead lifting it is much more difficult.

If you're talking about this bungee hook...

...I think it is called a shockcord fastener 1/4", PN 2101 (same part # as the older style). They're great to have around along with some bungee line for custom jobs! 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2009 10:21 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Thanks Roadrunner. Long time. That aint the bungee connector i'm talking about. I can find that kind. The kind I am looking for is just a hook that goes on the end of a bungee. I believe it was Hobie and not Sea Dog. What it is I am trying to secure my Igloo 25 qt ice chest to my outback. I try to keep my Hobie all Hobie if possible. That is how I do my rudder. Do you agree the 2008 is a superior outback. The rudder needs a little help. That Kayak is on the right track.
Brazos

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 8:23 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

This is a picture of the bungee ends I am looking for. Someone told that Hobie made that. I don't think so. Sea Dogs bungee ends are made out of ss I want plastic ones.
Brazos

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 9:01 pm 
Hobie Approved Guru

Looks like a Hobie part, #2102 for 5/16 bungee. Check it out at the online parts catalog p. 24.
http://www.hobiecat.com/support/pdfs/ka ... _22-25.pdf

If it uses a 1/4" bungee, then it was probably superseeded by the 2101 above.

BTW, I prefer the 2101 version -- snaps on and off easily (and stays) without the tang that keeps getting in the way; adjustable and reusable.! Try one -- I think you'll like it. 8)

Last edited by Roadrunner on Sat Jan 03, 2009 9:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 9:09 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I will be darned. Thats it. That guy was telling me it looks like a Hobie. And me being a hard head looked all over for a week.
Brazos

Thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 7:57 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I have a couple of PN 2101's. They seem a little on the hard side to get into a Hobie eye. I think I will go outside and give them another try.
Brazos

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 5:15 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I tried a couple of 2101 they work like a champ. What I don't like is when you cut the bungee cord it frays and unravels. What do yall do use a hot knife like on nylon rope.
Brazos

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 7:59 pm 
Hobie Approved Guru

A lighter works fine. I keep one out in the garage explicitly for ropes, cords and bungees. If the bungee mushrooms at the end it won't feed into the hook, so go slow or slide your gloved fingers across the heated tips immediately to keep the ends from flaring. It may take a little practice.

Another technique is to wrap the area to be cut with masking tape and cut across the middle of the taped area. This will keep the ends from fraying. You can leave the tape on -- it will eventually come off by itself. This also makes it easier to anneal with your lighter.8)

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 11:15 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Does anyone know how to completely replace the rudder up and down cables? I can barely even reach the knob from inside the hatch. I think the bungee cord may be worn out inside

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 11:16 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Does anyone know how to completely replace the rudder up and down cables? I can barely even reach the knob from inside the hatch. I think the bungee cord may be worn out inside

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 10:52 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Line diagrams can be found here, under care and maintenance: https://www.hobie.com/support/mirage-outback/