Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 3:30 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Outback paddle length
PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 11:49 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Has anyone out there had any difficulties with the stock outback paddle length possibly being too short, due to the wider width of the boat? Have you changed to a longer paddle and if so what length? I am 5'3" and new to kayaking. Just wondering if this might help with more efficient paddling.
Thanks,
Carol

Post subject: paddle lenght
PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 2:36 am 
Site Rank - Captain

The only drawback of the Mirage drive is that it is so easy! people just hop in and don`t bother how to learn to paddle!

Hobie paddles are already way to long!

Their lenght is a trade off so even the biggest guy,fully dressed, sitting in the widest model, can reach the water making low strokes.

At first, the Outback is an all out design for fishing, using the MD.
The trays are in the way to make a decent paddle stroke, the width makes it extremely stable on flat water, but less "paddleable".

The hull shape of Adventures and Revolutions (and the all out paddle versions) are designed for paddle propulsion too, but obviously lack some workspace for the fishermen (M/F) the Outback offers

The width and shape of the Outback combined with your height above the water makes it even more difficult to adapt a fluid paddle stroke.

First lower the rudder and set it straight, then try to make your stroke as vertical as possible right along the hull, this involves a lot of lateral bending of the upper body, the blade should just be submerged, if you have to adjust the positon of your hands along the shaft, to make the same stroke on the oposite side your paddle is to long,

(Trying to determine the position for the front rodholders here)

Alternatilvy you could get the optional paddle grip to make it a canoe style paddle and perfect your stroke technique on one side at a time.

My advice;

Take a paddle course.

Take your Outback to a Kayak shop where you can test paddle and get feedback on your technique

Proceed in your efforts to learn to paddle!, if your rudder fails in any way you will have to!

Without a rudder the MD makes you spin like a wounded duck (or learn to use your paddle as a rudder)

One other challenge due to the all out fishing design of the Outback is to get back in, so practice deep water re- entries!

PF

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 7:27 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Hi flygal6

I have the Revolution and my problem with the Hobie paddle is this .. I do not like the stock paddle Hobie provides at all. I love everything about the Hobie Kayaks except the paddle. Mine feels cheaply built and I have heard complaints of the Hobie kayaks not paddling worth a sh** but if the critics paddled one with the Hobie paddle I can see why they say that. The design is lousy and it is whimpy at best. Mine does not even fit tightly together at the snap and there is almost an 1/8" play making the two halves twist enough to be annoying. A defect maybe .. worth returning for replacement .. NOT! The paddle itself IMO is worthless. I have a Bending Branches 230 cm and it is night and day paddling between the two.

Go to a kayak shop try several paddles and pick the one that works best and is right length for you. A paddle needs to be fitted to the paddler. I am sure many on this forum can give you good recommendations on a paddle.

Sorry Hobie I can vouch and brag till breathless about the kayaks but back to the drawing board on the paddle. I just keep it as a backup.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 7:58 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks for the great feedback. Both excellent recommendations I will use. Nice to have the right information, to better enable me to ask the right questions when I go back to the kayak store.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 12:36 pm 
Site Admin

Revo_1756 wrote:
Sorry Hobie I can vouch and brag till breathless about the kayaks but back to the drawing board on the paddle. I just keep it as a backup.

We hear ya... we are working on further changes to paddles. We actually offer a different (fiberglass shaft) paddle with the paddle kayaks. Yes, these Mirage paddles are not used for much more than backup.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 11:43 pm 
Hobie Approved Guru

I tend to agree with Revo about the current paddles and am fortunate to have one of Hobie's excellent older paddles made by Bending Branches. Realistically, for the amount of paddling most of us do though, it probably doesn't make much difference -- they both do the job.

Regardless of paddle quality, the beamier boats, especially with higher gunwales, can be more challenging to paddle. This occurs with the inflatables as well as the Outback and Outfitter, where it is easy to accidentally skin your thumb on the side.

What works best for me in this situation is to shift the paddle over from side to side for each stroke rather than keeping it in line with the body. This gets the stroking arm out further laterally so the hands are less likely to get banged up. You end up doing somewhat of a swaying twisting rhythm if this makes any sense -- not too difficult with a little practice.

In addition to peddlefisher's excellent illustrations and suggestions, you can find some instructional sites on the Internet to get you started. 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 8:15 am 
Hobie Team Member

mmiller said:
Quote:
Yes, these Mirage paddles are not used for much more than backup.

Matt, I thought they were there for name placement in our fishing pictures. :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 5:15 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I look at paddles like I look at fish finders and fishing poles. There are alot of choices and many, many of the smart viable choices due to boat size, paddler size and experience, and intended environment.

No one paddle can be all things. To me the purchases are mutually exclusive and should be made seperately. I use my Hobie paddle as a back up inside the hull in case I lose or break my mirage and regular paddle (I know, highly unlikely- but i am all about contingencies).

The Outback is a tough boat to paddle especially for a smaller person. Its just the trade off for the ultra stable hull and the awesome mirage drive.

But if you plant ice, you gonna harvest wind.