Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 5:55 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 10:32 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hello,

I will pick up a new Oasis is a couple of weeks. I am new to kayaking and to this forum. I plan to launch this kayak either from our calm protected beaches which are shelly and pebbly, or from a dock. I would greatly appreciate any feedback on the following:

Could I launch from a beach without wading into the water, similar to a john boat, or would that first step near the bow likely overturn the boat?

Which cart is better for shelly, pebbly beaches, standard or TRAX?

Does either cart float? If so, and I were to wheel the boat into the water such that the wheels were floating off the bottom, could I insert a tool into the scupper holes from above to release and retrieve the cart? Upon returning, has anyone successfully inserted the cart underwater from a body position atop the boat?

Possibly upon my maiden voyage I will quickly have these questions answered.

Thanks,

mountainmeterman

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 12:01 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Since my beginnings into this arena I have found it to be pretty difficult to stay totally dry as it sounds your trying to do, short of using a dock every time my time on the water has involved a fair amount of water contact yes the cart could be removed and retreived but putting it back in might be a tad difficult my standard cart does float.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 2:45 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

HI MMM,

Welcome to the forum and congrats on your new purchase. I assume being in WA water temps are the reason for your inquiries.

I primarily launch from shore sand/rock/limestone with a revolution. I have never tried entring the yak from the bow there is a big hatch to climb over. I would not say it is impossible but something you want to practice when getting wet is not an issue in case you go over. I do not need to get into more than knee deep or less to then turn and sit into the kayak. If my bow is still grounded I simple push off with my paddle and get to a depth where I can drop the fins and pedal.

I have stepped down into and out of the revolution from a deck boat very carefully so as not to capsize. The hobie yaks are quite stable but can flip over. If you are looking to stay dry then a dock would be the answer entering very carefully. I have paddled and pedaled hours and still had a dry bottom in the revo so it is possible to stay totally dry by means of a dock with the exception of the little water you get on you from the paddle or a splash.

It is easier to remove the wheels prior to putting it in the water IMO. The Trax float very well and difficult to remove under water due to alot of bouyancy holding them in. Pull kayak parallel to the water, remove wheels and place stern in the water and push it out, take hold of bow and direct yak perpendicular to the shore. Without anyone in it it does not draw much more than a couple inches of water then walk out to the cockpit turn and sit, throw feet up in then push and off ya go.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 5:05 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thank you both for your input. Correct, I don't wish to get too wet this early and cool in the year. I have an old wetsuit but something tells me I would be very disappointed with the current fit.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 7:13 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Welcome MMM,
I'm sure you will enjoy the Oasis just as much as we have! :)
There are many posts on the carts available and a search would yield some useful info.
Recently Pirate posted a novel solution to reduce the buoyancy of the Trax cart by partially filling the tyres with water.
I have had the Trax cart for about a year now. I have swapped the balloon tyres for the Hobie heavy duty pneumatic tyres and that combination works well for me. I don't have to stay dry though and only insert/remove the cart when in knee deep water.
Pretty much twice weekly in the last two years I have launched from a dock and have had no problems getting on either the Oasis or Adventure.
I wheel the kayak to the dock edge then push from the stern until the drive clears the dock, then pick up the stern so the cart drops out. A line attached to the cart allows me to pull it out of the way. With the kayak resting on the dock with the bow in the water I fit the cart to the rear storage deck and then slide the kayak in lifting the stern so that the rudder clears the dock . A stern rope through the rear padeye helps keep control. The Adventure is easier to launch because the cart sits well back but I did launch the Oasis this way for over a year before I got the Adventure.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 11:13 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Stringly, that dock procedure is really helpful, thanks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 8:41 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Hi Stringy,

Did you have to modify the Trax cart for the Hobie pneumatics? I want to swap mine out to pneumatics but heard other tires won't fit the Trax cart.
Do you still use the snap clips as with the Wheelez and are the tires still easily removable for stowage? I take mine apart and stow in the front hatch of a revo too much other stuff in the well to keep wheels there too.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 8:49 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Hey Stringy,

Ignore the last request for info. I have seen your solution though works great there are too many loose parts for disaasembled bow stowage. I will have to come up with a different means or a second pneumatic wheel cart.

Kudos for your ingenuity cause it is a solution for those who just carry in the well.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 11:33 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

stringy wrote:
Pretty much twice weekly in the last two years I have launched from a dock and have had no problems getting on either the Oasis or Adventure.
I wheel the kayak to the dock edge then push from the stern until the drive clears the dock, then pick up the stern so the cart drops out. A line attached to the cart allows me to pull it out of the way. With the kayak resting on the dock with the bow in the water I fit the cart to the rear storage deck and then slide the kayak in lifting the stern so that the rudder clears the dock . A stern rope through the rear padeye helps keep control. The Adventure is easier to launch because the cart sits well back but I did launch the Oasis this way for over a year before I got the Adventure.

Stringy (others),

Do you see any negatives or impracticalities to my simply lifting the boat over my head at the dock and dropping it into the water, flipping the hull side down in the process? I would take care to first secure the bowline to the dock.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 7:10 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

MMM,
Is there a reason you have to lift the Oasis so high? Do you have to clear a railing?
I would struggle to lift the Oasis over my head. It may only weigh 30 odd kg's but it is very awkward and unwieldy. I think it would be very difficult to launch as you suggest even with the better placement of the 09's handles.
If it is sitting on the cart it is very simple to slide it into the water straight from the dock -or at least it is from the floating dock I use! :wink:
The height from dock to water is about 2 feet.
Have you got your Oasis yet? 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 10:37 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Stringy,

Getting the Oasis along with the new style standard cart this Friday, finally. I was considering lifting it overhead at the dock only as a means to avoid sliding it on the dock at all. I'm probably being a little silly about it. Thanks for your reply and patience.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 4:04 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

MMM,
I understand your reluctance to slide your brand new kayak. I remember being like that once. :wink:
You'll find though that plastic can take a fair bit of abuse and scratches are inevitable. I ended up on an oyster lease soon after I got my AI :oops:
The dock I launch from has a very handy plastic protective edge that allows me to slide the hull on easily without scratches. You could always take a small section of rubber backed outdoor carpet to slide on if your dock isn't as user friendly. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 12:08 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

HEY MMM, I HAVE THE OASIS ALSO AND DON'T WANT TO SCRATCH IT UP EITHER. I GUESS IT WOULD DEPEND ON HOW FOR THE H20 IS FROM YOUR DOCK. BUT ONE I USE IS A FLOAT'N DOCK AND JUST ROLLED DOWN TO THE END PUT THE FRONT END IN FIRST AS FOR AS I COULD HOLD IT UP. IT ENDED UP FLOAT'N WITHOUT BOTTOM TOUCH'N ROLLED TO THE EDGE LIFTED THE BACKEND AND LET THE WHEELS COME LOOSE THEN LET DOWN INTO H20. NO TOUCH H20 ENTRY

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 11:54 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thank you everyone for your input.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 1:27 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Interesting that everyone else seems to prefer launching bow first. I've always launched stern first and pulled out bow first, thinking that would be the best way to avoid damaging the rudder. But I was using a strap-on cart at the midpoint of the boat. Starting with almost half the boat hanging off the dock, I lift the other end and there is very little sliding on the dock. At my destination, I usually leave the kayak on the dock so I just pull it right up. The wood seems pretty smooth anyway so I've never worried about scratches.

I try to launch off the end of float where there is no tie-up rail, but then I pull it around to the side because I find it much easier to get in while holding onto the rail. Get everything stowed in the hatches before launching...they are very difficult to reach after.