Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 12:25 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 4:58 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

How's it going Kep?

Yesterday I worked on the floaties a little more. I took a 1" slip coupler and glued it end to end to the 'T' with PVC cement (no 1" pvc inside).
It held strong and I slipped it onto the sidekick bar. All I needed to do was slip the 1/8" x 1" 'O' Ring up against the stop and it fit perfectly.
By extending the tube of the "T" the floatie no longer slips side to side and I can keep the stop where it is for when I want to use the inflatable ones.

When I want to rework all the PVC I will break apart and trim the floats to butt the two buoys tight together. Next time I think will use the threaded parts. Using a 12" adjustable length sprinkler riser within the buoys that can be cut to length.

Revo

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 8:26 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Hey Rev Howzit dune ?
Thanks for the info.
Im considering using some 6" x 14" lob/crab/shrimp pot buoys in the xl size if I can see them first.
These have a 1" inside hole diameter so will let you know how that works out.
Cheers

Kepnutz

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 11:55 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

going good Kep

sounds like the 6 x 14's just need 1" pvc assembly instead of 1/2" under the "T". I would like to say might be an overkill. I was standing testing stability with the revo and I got the floatie buried and the yak at a 45+ degree angle without capsizing but was close to the brink. I must have looked ridiculous from shore.

Each 5 x 11 buoy has 15# of floatation so 30# each side is quite substantial.

WATER TEST TRIAL MODIFICATION NEEDED:
The assembly being a HOLLOW PVC tube .. water will enter and fill the assembly from the opening in the 'T' attached to the sidekick bar if you submerge the 'T'. When bringing the floaties back into the house I got a lap full. Did not take a bath rocking the yak on the lake but back inside turned one over and whoosh out it came.

Solution - Rubber Stopper packed into the opening inside the 'T' going down to the floatie. I recommend glueing it in place with Goop or silicone II.

Let me know how yours turn out Kep.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 8:51 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Hi Ya Rev. :D
Thanks for the info..on the 6" x 14 buoy's.
I was hoping to look at the buoys locally and in person before ordering them.
If the darn things look too big then I was going ahead with the 5".
I am thinking of sailing with almost 40 squares in this season so was thinking maybe I needed big ones.
If you cant sink the boat standing on one set of 5" buoys then that will do..
Ill let you know when I do the build.
Im sure I'll be asking you and "Latch Patch" some more questions anyways'
Have fun
Kepnutz... ^_^

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 12:26 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Quote:
If you cant sink the boat standing on one set of 5" buoys then that will do..

I did not say I was standing on the floatie but inside the revolution (well on it .. another story) rocking side to side and had the floatie under a foot of water and no capsize. Not to talk you outa the bigger ones just they may not be needed. But you do what you are comfortable with cause would hate to use 5" and then find 6" is needed. Sometimes overkill is a better option .. I doubt weight will be an issue and surely nothing wrong with a little more floatation. I have seen the larger ones used by other manufacturers.

40 squares of sail can hike you over quite a bit.

I still need to rebuild mine so the floats are abutted and sail test them. Work has been crazy and have not had spare time to work on them.

Hopefully soon.

Revo

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2009 8:58 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

A little history here: When Joey of Kayakfishingstuff.com first came up with his lobster pot buoy idea, he used the 5x11 size. I originally looked at both the 6x14s and the 5x11s, and went with the latter simply because the extra size did not seem to be essential for good flotation. In addition, the extra bulk of the 6x14s made for difficulties in storage and transport (especially if you wanted to carry them inside the hull), because they really are considerably larger, especially in volume. The Spongex material that the buoys are constructed from is NOT a light weight Styrofoam material. It is pretty dense and solid, so it is difficult to submerge them unless you are sitting or standing right on top of them. There is also a 6x14 oversize model that is about twice the size of the 5x11s, based on the number in a case in the Hamilton Marine catalog. Here is a scan of p. 77 in Maine’s Hamilton Marine catalog showing the size and type of lobster pot buoys that most of us have used. The Seamasters also look interesting, but I don't know of anyone who has used them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 8:58 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Hi Ya Rev Hi Ya Patch :D
Thanks for all of your input so far on this new project.
As for fitting sidekicks inside the hull, I no longer pull the sidekicks off and on anyway.
Once we cart our yak and gear to the beach I put the sidekicks on the mount bar and thats that.
The sidekicks are always locked in place and ready for use until we are done for the day and I take them off.
I know Im going to want them when we sail so I just leave em on all day, no big deal, since they are usually riding out of the water when the kayak is level anyway.
Therefore by not storing sidekicks inside the hull I then have room for more gear down below which is helpful on most outings.

Another detail not to be overlooked , that is different between us , is that I have a tandem model with a payload of 550 lbs which is heavier than that of a single model kayak.
So while the 5" x 11" might prove ok for a single seater model , this could change dramatically when you multiply loads by a factor of 2.
Put two people plus gear and two sails in force three to force five winds and you could have a different set of needs with respect to the float size required to prevent a sudden roll over incident.
I was very suprised at just how quickly our boat rolled over, once the tipping point was reached, last fall in moderate winds.
There was no time to correct course, hike, trim sheets or anything else..it was just "kersplash" and thats it.
So I think I will order the big ones "6" x 14 (but not the 6"x 14"
oversize) and see If I can put them together using PVC pipe and then hope that they will buy me enough time out on the water to prevent another dunking :lol:
Thanks Again Use Guys.
Kepnutz
:wink:

Last edited by kepnutz on Wed Mar 18, 2009 9:35 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 9:06 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Hey Nutzie,
I hear ya! I didn't remember that you had already rolled, so I would have to agree that the 6x14s might be the best way to go, especially with the tandem. Give it a try and take some pics so we can benefit from your experience.
Cheers,
Dick

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 9:51 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Hey Patch. :lol:
You got it.. !
I will take project photos with my "NEW" cheapo kodak when I get my round tuit's ready .
Good to hear from you as always and hope all is well on your end.

Take Care

Tight lines :wink:
Kepnutz