Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 2:24 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: ProAngler on the river
PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2009 9:48 am 
Site Rank - Captain

(Amusing) Report from Texas:
This was posted about the PA on a river near where I live, by another PA owner:

I just got back from a 12 hour excursion on the South Llano River at Junction. My Friend and I launched at Boone's Crossing and paddled to South Llano State Park. This trip would typically take 4 to 5 hours, but of course we were stopping at every good looking spot to throw a fly. We got off the water last night about 9:30.

We caught a ton of fish; it seemed that every place that might hold a fish…did. Lots of Perch of all kinds, and the Guadalupe Bass turned on as the day progressed. Lots of small one but we did catch some in the ¾ pound range. This was the most fun I have had fishing in many years the action was good and scenery was unbelievable.

The other reason for posting is to let everyone know that I took my new Hobie Pro Angler to the river and want to report that it did amazing. The South Llano is a very calm river, so we did not encounter very many rapids. The rapids we did encounter were easily negotiable with the PA and I could not believe some of shallow spots I was able to go through. I left the Mirage Drive at home , however if I had to do it again I would have taken it and simply removed it going through rapids. The South Llano has many long stretches of deep calm pools, and I really could have used the mirage. My shoulders and back are paying for it today.

I have not seen anyone post anything about the PA on a river, so here is my honest assessment. Overall I give it an A-. As far as comfort and storage for a long all day excursion it was an A++++ I had everything I needed for a 12 hour trip comfortably leaving me plenty of room to fly cast. I could have easily added a tent, pack, and cooler for an overnight trip. I was able to stand and cast which is nice on a long trip because you can stretch out and it gives you the ability to really heave a fly if need be. The only negative is that it will definitely not win any races while paddling it through the calm deep pools, but as I said earlier in hindsight I should have brought the Mirage Drive.
Overall it was a great trip, great kayak, and best of all great fishing.
---------------------------------------------

(Note: these are not big rapids)

Google "great castell river race"
(Texas largest kayak river race)

"Great Castell river race" (Texas largest kayak river race)

http://www.castelltexas.com/newrace.html

Saturday June 6th, 2009:
Race Registration @ 8am at Llano River RV Park.
Race begins approx. @ 9am

-----------
Friday June 5th, 2009

Racers Camping checkin by @ 7:00 pm
Volunteer set up for Saturday
Campfire singing and hang out!

more info: http://www.castelltexas.com/map.html

Last edited by RPB on Wed May 27, 2009 4:39 pm, edited 3 times in total.

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 5:45 am 
Site Rank - Captain

have done various sections of the Llano river in years gone by, it is indeed a beatiful place to kayak, one of the things I miss.