Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:53 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2004 12:19 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

i am interested in purchasing 2 hobie outbacks for open water use. i have used an outback for a demonstration test drive in flat water and found it to be great fun and stable. i am wondering how suitable and safe they are for rougher water, chop and wind. in other words, are they as safe as a traditional sit in ocean kayak?
thanks.

Post subject: Safety? YES!
PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2004 10:08 am 
Site Admin

I would say... sit-on-tops are MUCH safer than a sit-inside and they are much more user friendly.

For wind and chop you cannot get an easier boat to manage than a Hobie Mirage Kayak. The pedal system is powerful and easy to use. No special paddling techniques are required as there would be on a paddle-only kayak. Simple hand controlled steering, but the paddle is right there if you need it for more dramatic handling or just because you might like paddling. The pedal system makes it the best for going into chop or wind. Less windage and drier. No paddle dripping all over you. Your legs are stronger than your arms and since you are not batteling the windage a paddle causes, the Mirage is much easier to take upwind.

The hulls are an air chamber that will not fill with water if capsized. They are easier to get back into / on after a capsize.

You need no special techniques for righting as you are not "trapped" inside or under the hull as you would be in a sit-inside. Simply roll the boat back over and hop back on. With a sit-inside, you have to have a skirt to keep the water out. If you have to leave the cockpit the hull can flood. Once a sit-inside hull floods, you have a real problem. This is not an issue with a sit-on-top. You just roll the boat back over and any water drains out the cockpit scuppers.

We have tons of people using the Outback for open ocean fishing. These are demanding conditions at times with cargo loads of gear and surf launching. They are really great boats!

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

Post subject: safety at sea
PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2004 10:27 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

thanks, i've heard this from a dealer, but wanted another expert opinion.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2005 9:10 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

nirvan wrote:
i am interested in purchasing 2 hobie outbacks for open water use. i have used an outback for a demonstration test drive in flat water and found it to be great fun and stable. i am wondering how suitable and safe they are for rougher water, chop and wind. in other words, are they as safe as a traditional sit in ocean kayak?
thanks.

Safe? Depends on your definition of safe. I've pedaled my Outback across Mobile Bay at the opening where current runs swift and waves are always confused. Most experienced kayakers are reluctant to do the crossing in their regular sit-in kayaks. In the summer, I find surfing in the Outback is a great change of pace. Oh yes, you can get out in the waves, pedal like a maniac, and end up doing 8-10 mph riding down waves. The short length and the responsive rudder of the Outback makes wave riding much more comfortable and in my opinion, safer than in a regular kayak.

I've been in choppy water with kayakers who have to put on their spray skirt to avoid getting soaked, and there I am in the Hobie, sitting high and dry. You'll learn you can lean the Outback certain ways to limit waves splashing on you. But you know what? In the heat of summer, once you get a taste of it, you'll be looking for those rough sea conditions just so you can go out and get soaked in some great riding choppy waves. It is a blast!

Post subject: safe boats in open water
PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2005 8:41 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

we bought our outbacks and have done some open water trips. thanks for the opinions, experiences. i'll try that leaning idea, maybe that will keep us drier.

i pedaled from sausalito to angel island on san francisco bay last week and all was fine, although there was not much chop.
so, i feel good about the boats stability and feel safe in it. my concern now is to come up with suitable clothing to be comfortable and stay dry and without a wet ass. wetsuits i have tried on are either too restrictive, too tight at the knee, or too warm. of course most are designed to be in the water, hence the challenge.