Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 3:02 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Tandem questions
PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2009 5:54 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I did a search on tandems and mostly what came up was pedal and rudder problems, and more about adv islander.

So, simple question, the Oasis and the Outfitter seem wicked cramped, do they feel that way? I am very surprised they are such short kayaks, and am wondering if Hobie is considering making a longer one. Perhaps as the posts suggest the 2010 model will be longer, and not allow the pedal hit.

We'll either go with a tandem again, or the Revo or Adventure, too many choices!!!

Lisa

Post subject: Re: Tandem questions
PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2009 10:39 pm 
Hobie Approved Guru

We have a tandem Oasis and love it. We've had 2 now since 2003 and had no problems with either (we updated the first after several years to get the newer hull and cockpit). I also use it occasionally as a solo kayak with some ballast in the nose. These pics show some of its incredible versatility:

Tandem wake riding

Good performing solo boat

Heavy hauler on lake clean up day (this is all in the front cockpit)

The only limitations I am aware of is cockpit length for taller folks. My wife and I are 5'10" and 5'8" and fit fine. One of our kids though is 6'6" with a 36" inseam and is much too tall to fit well.

BTW, the Adventure has a slightly longer cockpit than the Revo if height is an issue; both have a little more cockpit length than either tandem. 8)

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2009 4:12 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

G'Day Lisa,
I almost suggested you consider the tandems after reading your revo/adv post. It's great to see you are thoroughly researching this so you can make an informed purchase! 8)
Our first Hobie was an Oasis and if I could only have one Hobie it would still be the Oasis. As RR reports it is very versatile. If you are under 6' you should have no problems with fit. Don't be put off by the bulkiness of the hull. With two pedalers this kayak gets along nicely. We tour with friends with who have much longer sleeker sit in kayaks (the double on the right of the pic is over 7 metres long) and though they may be quicker at the start, by the end of the day we are usually first back to the boat ramp. If battling a headwind or strong current/chop it’s a no contest –the mirage drive is superior!

I note you already have a paddle tandem. Being wider neither of the tandems is a great paddler but I would recommend the Oasis over the wider shorter Outfitter. Hobie will at some stage, I hope, release a tandem AI (latest release date is possibly next January) but I wouldn't hold my breath. It's been talked about since the AI first came out but to hold off on a purchase because it may come out would mean missing out on adventures you could already be having. :(
You really should demo all the models before making a final choice. Try and organise one with your dealer.
The Adventure is the best for paddling but the Oasis makes a great tourer, can carry a heap of gear and with two pedaling is capable of covering large distances. We usually arrive at our destination feeling much less tired than our paddling friends! :wink:

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2009 5:53 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Ok so some good points made here:

1. The tandem can be a two or one person boat, cool!

2. I'm 5'6 and my friend is 5'2 so we should fit fine

3. The tandem doesn't sound like good paddler, nor does the Revo. Something to munch on, as I know I do love to paddle and pedal.

4. The adventure sounds like a great paddler, good to know!

5. What is this AI you speak of for "possible" release in January (all these acronyms are wicked confusing!)

6. Test ride. As I'm thinking this out, we are somehow going to have to get to a test site. NONE of them are close to us, none. The two shops in Arizona don't do demos which is really disappointing.

Thanks for the input, very helpful.

Lisa

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2009 6:35 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Lisa-

I'm in Arizona as well. We went to Dana Point Jet Ski and got to demo anything we wanted.
Thats the best way to decide, we chose the I14T and love it. Good luck on your search.

Boxs

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2009 6:37 am 
Site Rank - Captain

All the way in CA!! That's a long trip!

Lisa

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2009 6:47 am 
Site Rank - Captain

You say you can store quite a bit of gear on the tandem, visually there doesn't look like much storage, so enlighten me!

And again, what are you talking about as far as the new release in January, what model is this?

Lisa :)

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2009 8:06 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Hi Ya'll :D
We have owned our Hobie Tandem Oasis 06 for three years and it is a very soild , reliable, dependable craft thats a joy to own and use. We love the tandem and bought ours from a local dealer without a demo and without ever even seeing one in person, and have never regretted it.
We would not hesitate to recommend the versatile, efficent hobie mirage drive kayaks to anyone interested in enjoying some carefree time out on the water.

Have fun out there
Kepnutz

Last edited by kepnutz on Sun Aug 09, 2009 8:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2009 8:12 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Kepnutz,

Those are fantastic pictures, thank you so much for sharing. We LOVE our Wilderness Systems Tandem, but I think this would be an amazing upgrade.

Lisa :)

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2009 8:22 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Hi Lisa
Glad you like the photos. Best wishes on your new Hobie.

Cheers :wink:
Kepnutz

PS. For Sale: One 2006 Hobie Tandem Kayak Paddle. Brand New Never Used ! :lol:

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2009 10:05 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Kep,
great pictures! what kind of camera are you using?
what is that wind paddle thingy?

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2009 1:51 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Hi Ata
The camera I was using in most of these photo's was a Kodak 430 point and shoot type.
The windpaddle is a fun second sail I added to help increase sailing speed and power in our tandem . It is controlled by the front passenger and is simple to install use and stow without a lot of hardware or space required.
You can read more about the Windpaddle here : http://www.windpaddle.com/

Have fun out there
kepnutz

IMG]http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k234/kepnutz/100_3924.jpg[/IMG]

Last edited by kepnutz on Sun Aug 09, 2009 2:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2009 1:55 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

thanks Kep!