Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:19 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Mirage Drive storage
PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2009 8:20 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

As weird as this may sound,after I have owned my 08 Outback for 9 months now,I just realized something. I cant get the mirage drive to fit into the front storage compartment. Is there some special way to get it to fit in there? I tried everyway I could this weekend and could not get it to fit. I have allways hand carried it so I never needed to try it until this weekend. You would think our good friends over at Hobie engineering would have worked this out. Maybe they have and I am too stupid to figure it out. Please enlighten me if you can or know how to make it fit. Thanks for reading. I love my Hobie btw. Great boat. :D

Post subject: Re: Mirage Drive storage
PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2009 9:30 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I don't think it can fit. I know I can't fit it into the AI's front hatch and close it. Some have removed one pedal & shaft to fit it, but requires tools to reassemble.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 5:05 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

My drive wont go in the hatch either but I bought the turbo fin kit for my Outback which makes the fins even longer. And even if it did fit in the hatch, I wouldn't want the trouble of trying to twist and manuever the drive in and out of the hatch. It will slide nicely under the bungie hold-downs behind the seat.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 7:38 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Hey Bob, tell me about using the sail kit on a Hobie yak would you. Is it necessary to have the outriggers. I don't anticipate going in the ocean or bodies of water I can't see across. I live and fish on several large reservoirs and peddling out and back is not a real strong desire on the part of this old 66 yo. I noticed your pic and thought you'd be the guy to ask about sailing a PA???? :?:

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 11:04 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I have Adventure Islands so mine are the BIG mast and sail. A friend just starting using the small sail that can be used on (most?) all current Hobie's including the PA.

The small sail is fun. It probably won't get you sailing at 10 knots, but will sail up to 5mph. In lighter wind from the right direction, it will "assist" your peddling at your normal speed with less effort.

Use of the outriggers depends on the model and your conditions. With the design of the PA being so stable, you don't need any outriggers. I'm not sure they could help a PA be any more stable than it already is. Some of the smaller, narrower models are helped greatly with the sidekicks, but they can also cause extra drag if not installed and adjusted not to be in the water until needed.

Get the sail, you'll stay out longer when the wind comes up instead of calling it a day.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2009 9:08 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Thanks...for the sail info :!: