Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 6:35 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2009 5:22 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hi Everyone! I hope this is not a duplicate post as I tried earlier to post but had some computer problems. So here it goes.

We purchased an Outrigger tandem a month ago and have had a blast with it, sailing, paddling, and pedaling. Picked up an 06 Outback to go along with it. The Outback is in great condition and has no cracks yet. Took it out this morning and was surprised how high it sat in the water. I tried it (I am 110lbs) and found it very tippy because it was so high out of the water. I could not use the pedals because it made the boat rock over so much. Tried the paddle and I think it was even worse since the boat is so wide and I was so high out of the water. The tandem is nothing like this, even with only one person in it. We actually picked the outback for stability, but it really was very tippy. It may not have gone all the way over but things on the sides were falling overboard. We have rented several kayaks and have never experienced this problem. Any suggestions? Do all the Hobie singles ride like this?

Thanks,
Jill

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2009 8:44 am 
Site Rank - Captain

At 110lbs in a 2006 design, I don't doubt it felt tippy on primary stability to you.
You could try ballast/carrying more weight..... OR eat more pizza and pasta and beer, ice cream and chocolate and pie and ...?
Or, maybe try a "Sidekick Ama kit" http://www.hobiecat.com/kayaking/access ... l#sidekick

The hull was redesigned in 2007. They aren't "tippy feeling" now for us lighter weight people. Note the center section of the hull is higher on the '06. Though the "secondary" stability is good on both.
Apalach posted a comparison here before: you can search his posts
2007 Outback on the left and the 2006 OB on the right
Also, I believe the Mirage drivewells were reinforced beginning with the Spring of 2006 models (soon after the Turbofins came out) with a brass insert and more, you might check your serial number and check with a local dealer/search if you need a free drivewell reinforcement kit, or see if one is needed or was already installed. The serial number range for the Outbacks that were "possibly affected," according to Hobie are #CCMA3753 through CCMF2853. ... viewtopic.php?f=21&t=12571
Look at the bottom of your boat. If there is a brass fitting (plugged with a small cap) just ahead of the drive well (under the forward ledge of the well) viewtopic.php?f=11&t=5181&hilit=2006+outback+reinforcement

Extended Warranty Coverage

Two-year warranty coverage for Outback hulls was extended to four years with 100% coverage for damage to the well on kayaks in the specified range. After four years there will be pro-rated coverage on those hulls for an additional two years.
Outbacks with serial numbers A3753 through F2853

Last edited by RPB on Sun Oct 18, 2009 9:21 am, edited 4 times in total.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2009 9:16 am 
Authorized Hobie Dealer

Location: 315 N. Hwy 79 Panama City Beach, FL 32413 850-235-2281
add about 50lbs of weight under the seat and the boat will work fine. The outback was designed for big boys, 200lbs, then redesigned to accommodate lighter paddlers. New boats are not a problem with light weights.

http://www.sunjammers.com
www.facebook.com/sunjammers

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2009 1:08 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

The serial number on the Outback is CCMF1891C606 or could be CCMF18911C606. Not sure if this falls in the serial numbers that need a retro fit kit??? It does not have a kit already installed.

Thanks,
Jill

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2009 9:06 am 
Site Admin

FAQ on the retrofit kit: http://www.hobiecat.com/community/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=12571

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 6:35 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Yep stick a big rock in it! It will appreciate the day out. and if it liked it, will still be on the beach next time!
The secondary stability is good, even taking waves from abeam keep your hips loose and you will be fine.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2009 5:31 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Matt,

Two weeks ago I went on a camping trip in the Everglades (Lopez River). It was my first time taking my Outback out that loaded with camping gear, so I wasn't surprised to find that I had a few gallons of water to drain out at takeout. I figured that adding me at 6'4" 275# and my camping and fishing gear that the rudder assembly might have been underwater and allowed water thru the rudder line holes. Last week I let my dad (190#) use it in calm inshore water while I used my other paddle 'yak. When we were done, I was surprised to find that we couldn't lift it due to several gallons of water inside again. Yesterday, I found the reason why... There is a crack at the front "seat" for the mirage drive. It's about the length of my finger nail, but it looks like it's in a hard spot to fix. I went on the internet to try to find possible ways to fix it, since I've had problems reliably fixing cracks in my other 'yaks. And I found out that there might be a warranty extension for this specific problem. When I look inside where the crack is, there is no extra support kit installed, and it appears to be the old hull. Serial #CCMF1528B606. I have digital pictures of the crack.

What are my options for this? Should I contact your Florida rep, Frank? Or should I take it in to my favorite kayak shop in Dania, FL (Nautical Ventures)? Those guys are a great retailer for you, always helpful, pleasant, and professional. Any future sale referrals I do, I'm going to send there. (had to throw in that "attaboy")

I have a fishing meet-up planned for Sunday (2 days) that I was hoping to use my Outback on. Is there a temporary fix, like Goop, I can use that will work? Will any fix I try put the warranty in jeopardy? If the Outback is warrantied out, how long does that process take?

Also, I applaud Hobie for their design, except for the drain plug. I'm a strong guy, but it's hard for even me (for about 5 mins) to hold the kayak up and on it's side to drain all that water out. I know that the newer ones have the new rudder that makes it a bit easier, but even they complain about how hard it is to drain theirs. Are there any possible redesigns coming to put the drain at a natural point of the 'yak (like the bow or even the side curve)?

Kent
Palm Beach, FL

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2009 9:12 pm 
Site Admin

Yep, see your dealer for any type of warranty claim issue.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 12:41 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Forget the rocks....You just need a bigger cooler and more beer!!!!

:lol: :lol: I had that older model outback hull awhile back and I thought the same thing when i got in it...."are you sure this thing is 32" wide?".....like everyone else said, the newer hull is much more stable and has the larger front hood instead of that little round hatch. I recently sold the outback and got the revo....even at 28.5" wide, it feels much more stable than the old outback hull when loaded or empty.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 6:03 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

And I've got one of the newer Outbacks and until recently had one of the old hulls. Very different. The pictures are the answer. New hull is stable. I myself had no problem with the old hull because I'm a little more than the 120 lbs or whatever you said. Those are numbers I haven't been familiar with for some time.
Good luck and enjoy the Outback. More beer....

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 10:19 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

yakkingaway wrote:
And I've got one of the newer Outbacks and until recently had one of the old hulls. Very different. The pictures are the answer. New hull is stable. I myself had no problem with the old hull...
Having just sold my 08 Outback which was used only 11 times, now I can provide some honest feedback. I hated the new hull design.

The wave slapping on the underside of the new Outback hull caused loud irritating noises when it should have been quiet. The old hull design never had the noise problem for my weight.

I got soaked by spray generated by a 3 inch chop pushed by 15 mph winds pedaling the new hull. Also, when a rogue wave was headed at the kayak from the side, it was easy to shift the hip on the old hull design to tilt the kayak which would raise the hull height on the offending side half a foot or more deflecting the wave instead of letting it crash over the kayak. The new hull is too darn stable to allow easy hip tilting without moving the body's center of gravity. The end result is I was getting soaked more often due to the new hull design. Ironically, I once complained about the wet butt problem in the Adventure with it's old design. Whatever Hobie changed in the Adventure hull design, I was now staying dry in conditions that were getting me soaked in the Outback - a complete reversal.

I used to brag about sitting high in the water in the Outback. When regular sit in kayakers were putting on spray skirts to keep dry, I was still paddling the old hull design without getting wet. The high sides are great for helping to keep a person dry but unfortunately, something went wrong on the new design of the bow for varying weights. The bow was the weak link for me.

There were numerous problems fixed, like sources of leaks, method of holding down the Pedal Unit, and the rudder being hard to engage - all good changes.

The old hull design with no handles was easy to throw around solo but the new hull design put handles in an off balanced position so it was always awkward to move the kayak solo without extra stress on the wrists to try to keep it level.

The Outback is really a fishing boat and I do recognize it needs stability and that should take priority. It also needs the high sides to accommodate up to 400 pounds. The Quest and Outback are mostly designed for Fishermen, and Pro Angler is totally designed for Fishermen. The Adventure is designed for sailing with a daggerboard slot and a place to attach amas.

I wonder when Hobie will design a performance oriented Mirage kayak for speed? Fisherman now have 3 models, Performance Kayak models - 0

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 10:19 am 
Site Admin

Not quite true...

Both the Revolution and the Adventure are speed machines... We continue to review the longer hull concept, but keep haveing other products with greater market reach to work on.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 11:40 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

mmiller wrote:
Not quite true...Both the Revolution and the Adventure are speed machines... We continue to review the longer hull concept, but keep haveing other products with greater market reach to work on.
While the Adventure is capable of 5+ mph, it was designed for sailing because there is a big hole through the hull for a dagger board. I guarantee you not find a single high performance racing kayak on the market that is 27.5 inches wide and 16 feet long.

I understand Hobie is a company with a bottom line of sales and profit and you're out for the most in both categories. In these times when obesity has reached epic proportions, Hobie should have a Rocket that will encourage fitness training for racing. Would a Rocket kayak be for a large target group? No-just racers and speedsters. Is kayak racing a large market group? No, but it is growing. Is the huge Pro Angler for everyone? No-just fishermen. Is kayak fishing a large market group? A decade ago it wasn't, but it is certainly growing now. Every product you have is designed with a specific consumer group in mind. All I'm saying is Hobie doesn't really have a "true" pedal boat hull designed for optimum speed. Thanks for continuing to review the longer hull concept.