Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:28 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2009 10:48 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Here's the deal:

I bought a used adventure (06 model) with a V1 mirage drive. Since I've owned the yak, every once in a while when I would push the right pedal all the way forward, just before the fin hits the bottom of the yak I could hear/feel a click. I narrowed it down to the chain pulling off the rear sprocket (the square middle tooth) and then popping back on. I thought that it was just a worn sprocket so I ordered another two more V1 sprockets.

I installed the new sprocket and now the same issue still happens, only now it's when I push the left pedal all the way forward. I've tried to adjust the chains per the FAQ in the mirage drive section with not alot of luck. It does seem to help the more I loosen the rear chain, but it just seems that the sprocket and chain aren't quite matching up.

Is there someting I'm missing here? Not sure if a worn chain would cause this?

Thanks,
Jason

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2009 1:38 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Josy

The same issue happens with the V2 plastic sprockets sometimes too.
Acts like it pops off and on the big tooth near the end of the pedal strokes.

Make sure your chains are really well lubricated, no binding in the links.

The larger, square middle tooth on the sprocket may have a little excess plastic, there may be a line there where it was molded. Grab a fingernail file and file off the casting marks/line and maybe soften the corners of the tooth just a little.

Finally, make sure your cables are properly adjusted.

Yakaholic

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2009 1:50 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Yakaholic,

I did this initially when I discovered the problem but I couldn't get it filed down enough to not occasionally "pop" on and off. I ASSume that tooth is squared for a reason and meant to hold the chain? Maybe Matt will chime in.

It seems to get worse if the chain is tightened with in specs.

Thanks for the relply
Jason

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2009 2:05 pm 
Site Admin

Yes, the middle tooth helps to prevent the chain from skipping. Perhaps the chain has a slight twist? Could be off center?

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2009 9:18 pm 
Hobie Approved Guru

Josy, congratulations on your new Adventure! Yes, it sounds like your chain is popping in and out of your master cog as the fins pass the horizontal plane. This is normal if you are bringing your fins up that high. Since it's only happening on one side this would indicate that your fins are not completely centered. With the pedal cranks held even, hold your Drive upside down with the fins sticking up. They should be in line with the pedals and within 5 degrees +/- of each other. If not, you would loosen the cable on one side for the appropriate fin and tighten the opposite side. Flip the fins back and forth a couple of times between small adjustments to re-seat the cable and re-check. Take your time.

A perfect alignment is not necessary and not as important as proper cable tension. The popping may be annoying but is not harmful. Personally, I would not attempt to alter the cog -- I depend on it to keep my chain where it belongs.

As an alternative, you might try reducing your normal pedaling stroke slightly. Try the next pedal position forward so you will still have your full leg extension -- the shorter stroke will quicken your cadence, and the reduced knee angle gives you more power. If you're using Turbofins they should become a little easier to push. Try it and see what you think. 8)

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2009 11:38 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Matt-
There doesn't appear to be any twist in the chain and the cog is in the middle of the chain.

Roadrunner-
Sounds logical. I'll give it a try next time I'm out and report back.

I'll admit, I wasn't sure that hobies were worth twice what my old 160i was. But after owning one for a few weeks; I'll never go back to a conventional kayak. I'm drinking the coolaide and loving it ;). It's all the little things that make the extra money worth it.

Thanks again for the support.

Jason

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 5:35 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Did you ever get this fixed? Mine is doing the same thing with the v2 sprockets. I order a new sprocket but worried now that might not be it.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 1:09 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I've owned an Oasis for 6 years and have gone through 2 V2 sprockets and now my first GT sprocket. In my case, it does not appear to be a wear problem--my operation has been limited to non-sandy, fresh-water use. They simply appear to be not strong enough to hold the forces I put on the ST Turbo blades (never had a problem with my wife's drive with her standard blades). I also pulled right through the adjustment holes on my original V2 pulleys within the first year of operation. Luckily the metal-reinforced GT pulleys are working fine. I do believe that the sprockets are simply understrength for big blades and enthusiastic pedaling (I am a competitive runner and biker).

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 1:56 pm 
Site Admin

Yes, the Turbo fins are extra load on the drive. It is not unusual to wear parts especially when pushed hard. Likely you also replace chains on your bikes or get new shoes for running right? We don't have a maintenance schedule like a car (no odometer), so inspection periodically is important. Tuning, cleaning and lubrication... occasional parts replacement.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)