Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:52 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Favorite PFD?
PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 5:41 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I have been doing some research on PFD as we haven't bought new ones in a very long time. Looks like there are low profile ones that make it more comfortable to sit in the kayak.

Any specific ones you folks would recommend?

Thanks for your help!

Lisa

Post subject: Re: Favorite PFD?
PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 7:09 am 
Site Rank - Captain

We have the Hobie PFDs. While better than a standard vest in terms of range of motion they tend to drive me nuts after awhile as they start to ride up. We're contemplating getting inflatable PFDs.

http://www.mustangsurvival.com/products ... php?id=506

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 4:12 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

They make low profile ones, sold on the Harmony website (a lot of kayak accessories!), and REI also makes one that is cut shorter at the waist to reduce the ride up factor and to make it more comfortable.

Those inflatable ones with the air canaster are really interesting, I saw a fisherman with one and he got it at Cabelas.

Lisa

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 4:56 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

has anyone actually tried their PFD in the water to see how they perform and if they will actually float you?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 7:53 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I've used the SOSpenders inflatable for about 10 years, mainly for sailing. They're pretty comfortable and about the weight of wet towel wrapped around your neck. We've just started using them on our i14T.

Mine is the auto inflate model, which is designed to inflate when submerged. The trigger is made of chalk that dissolves in about 2 seconds when it goes under water and the CO2 cartridge only takes a couple more seconds to inflate the vest. It easily supports me at 240 lbs. I test the trigger annually.

Since I bought mine, they've come out with a number of auto-inflate designs for paddlers:

http://www.bizrate.com/sospenders-life-vest/

Terry

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 5:43 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Cabelas does seem to have the best prices and selection. The reviews on REI are really good, and some of them give feedback as to how they actually perform in the water.

Lisa

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2009 12:18 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I've used the SOSuspender inflatable PFD's for many years now first in powerboating now in kayaking great movement and very comfortable of which is the key thing here because you can wear it and forget its on you so you'll wear it ALL THE TIME heck I've forgotten its on and I've left the parking lot with it still on.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 10:11 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Stearns makes an inflateable with the bladder rolled around the waist. The upper section is just a thin vest with little to interfere with arm motion. It has a pocket on the chest for accessories or a sandwich, etc. I've never tried one but they look interesting:

http://www.coleman.com/coleman/colemancom/detail.asp?product_id=COLE6340&categoryid=2216&brand=

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 6:17 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I've tried several brands and types. Got tired of them riding up, so I switched to a Type 1 PFD.

Some Type 1 PFDs are the type 5 inflatables, approved as Type 1

Most Type 1 PFDs, there is nothing in the back to ride up.
Most Type 1 PFDs offer a little more neck support
Most Type 1 PFDs have open arm side areas so they don't interfere much if you want to paddle
Type 1 PFDs have more floatation (mine is 35 lbs, minimum for Type 1 is 22 lbs; rather than 15-22 lbs for Type 3 [A Type III provides minimum 15.5 pounds of buoyancy ]) and are designed to keep you safer in chop/wind/waves and have SOLAS tape sewn on for better night fishing visibility; many come with a Whistle; some also have a signal light attached by Velcro that come with them.

Just examples of Type 1 vests

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 4:14 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Best One I found is the Stohlquist Fisherman ....To get the best price search and search to you find a dealer with a nice or not bad price, then go to CKS(Colorado Kayak Supply.com) and they will match with free shipping....They are great to deal with ask for Dave on my second one.....Lost the first one in Hurricane Ike along with my yak...I never go into the water without my jacket on and sometimes here in Texas 115 is the heat index....Steve

Very Comfortable and Front Draw Bridge Pockets and Mesh High Back.....Avg Price is around $120 I have got both of mine for $79

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 2:33 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

The Stohlquist Fisherman is nice and so is the NRS Chinook Fishing Mesh Back PFD, type III in Orange/Grey, size XXL #2150.....I bought mine from Kayak Shed in Hood River, OR.....www.kayakshed.com
This high back jacket/fishing vest retails for $79.95 and I like it because it's more visible on the water, has reflective piping and two reflective stripes sewn into the upper front straps.
The two, larger zipper pockets accommodate a Plano 1" x 4" x 6.5" tackle box and other stuff.....it has d-rings and sewn in nylon loops for attaching my fish rag, clippers, long nose, etc.
I find the life jacket to be very comfortable with 8 adjustment points and again, I am visible on the water in this PFD.