Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:02 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2005 9:56 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

do hobie kayaks need sun protection? a dealer i spoke to said yes, but i remember asking someone at hobie that said no.
my kayaks are stacked upside down on a dock that gets alot of sun, so i am wondering what's needed.
the dealer that said yes, sells some product that is applied to the kayak and also sells covers.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2005 10:27 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

nirvan,
As a general rule my feeling is that it is always best to keep any "plastic" yak or polyethylene boat out of the direct rays of the sun for long periods of time, if for no other reason than some colors will fade or become very "washed out". Plastic-type products may also "flow" or take on a "set" over time under certain circumstances.

As you say, opinions are mixed about the long term negative consequences of all this. I have also heard about the "sunscreen" you can buy and apply, but I think this comes under the category of just putting more money into a dealer's pocket. Not that there is anything wrong with that, but I seriously doubt if anyone has tested such products over a long period of time to see if they really work as well as advertised, and for how long.

But there is a very simple solution. Go to your local Lowe's, HD, or W-M and buy an inepensive tarp to toss over your boat or stacked boats. Those tarps are easy to secure or lash down, and will also fade and wear over time, but who cares? Just buy another as needed after a year or two. We still have many thousands of homes in Florida who have their "blue roof" tarps in place as we speak these many months (it is now the beginning of May!) after all the hurricanes of last fall. Just my $.02 worth.

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2005 8:28 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

nirvan wrote:
do hobie kayaks need sun protection? a dealer i spoke to said yes, but i remember asking someone at hobie that said no.
I keep my kayak out of direct sunlight when stored and treat it about once a month with 303 Aerospace Protectant to prevent UV caused fade and damage.

Post subject: Sunscreen
PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2005 8:37 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Apalach wrote:
I have also heard about the "sunscreen" you can buy and apply, but I think this comes under the category of just putting more money into a dealer's pocket.
To prevent UV damage to our eyes, we buy UV protecting sunglasses. To prevent UV damage to our skin, we smear our bodies with sunscreen. Now, to prevent UV damage to our plastic boats, we can use SPF 40 sunscreen (303 Aerospace Protectant) for protection. We can only hope they all work.

Say, Apalach, I know this is off topic, but have you ever pedaled in Wakulla Springs? My sister lives in Tallahassee and I hope to get over there soon and go up and down the Wakulla. Just thought you might be interested in joining me for a pedal.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2005 6:53 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Yep, 303 is great stuff! It is safe for everything and works great! It will also improve the looks of the boat since it acts like a conditioner as well.

Post subject: Re: Sunscreen
PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2005 1:16 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

[quote="Rnykster"
...have you ever pedaled in Wakulla Springs? My sister lives in Tallahassee and I hope to get over there soon and go up and down the Wakulla. Just thought you might be interested in joining me for a pedal.[/quote]

Sure have--except that you can't pedal or paddle in Wakulla Springs proper, since it is fenced off (fortunately!) to protect the wildlife from the people (and vice versa in some cases--got some huge gators in there!).

But it is an awesome trip anyway since you can put in at the Upper Bridge, just below the fence and then drift about 6 miles down river to haul out at the old St. Marks fort, or at Lower Bridge a mile or so before that. And if you get real lucky you may encounter some manatee family groups along the way. Would love to join you assuming my knee rehab allows it--just had surgery last week, but it seems to be coming along.

If your sister or other family members wanted to give it a try, the Wilderness Way shop on the Woodville Highway organizes yak and canoe trips on the Wakulla, as well as rents canoes and yaks of various flavors including an Outback complete with Mirage drive. Keep in touch about your schedule--maybe we can hook up.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2005 5:59 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Apalach... Sorry to hear about the knee surgery. Hope you heal up soon. Have you asked your doctor about the therapeutic aspects of low impact kayak pedaling? Regardless, this may be an opportune time to work on your Outback sailing skills! 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2005 7:09 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Yeah--the Doc said that riding an exercise bike should be ok, so I guess yak pedaling would work too. Plan to get back to working out again next week with low weights to begin with, and just take it from there.

However, in my spare time off the water I did come up with a huge new advance in Outbacking. Looking for a patent attorney as we speak...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2005 10:18 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

WOW!! I've seen lots of coolers on kayaks, but a Frigidaire?! That thing must hold a dozen or more cases of beer!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2005 9:49 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Yeah--kind of gives new meaning to the term "cooler," doesn't it?

Post subject: The Can Do Do kayak.
PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2005 7:49 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Apalach wrote:
However, in my spare time off the water I did come up with a huge new advance in Outbacking. Looking for a patent attorney as we speak...
Wow is right. In terms of convienence, that is a wonder idea. In terms of performance, it might be a crappy idea. In terms of a tailwind, phew... Yes, it is the new King's Outback - comes with its own throne. Hehehee. Great photo.