Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:52 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2005 3:29 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Finally found a place to practice wet enty, but alas, I didn't do too well.

1st problem - can't reach across the boat! My arms are 22" from armpit to fingertips, so that 30" reach across the beam of the Sport is a problem. However, if I get myself on the port side, I can just reach the handle.

2nd problem - the odds are 50/50 whether I'm going to pull myself over the boat, or pull the boat upside down over me.

One time, I put the paddle over the back hatch/well/whatever-that-indentation-is-called and it seemed to help stabilize the yak. I need to try that some more. However, I'm not entirely sure that in a windy, wavy situation, I'll be able to mess about with the paddle. I didn't find a terribly secure way to attach the paddle across the hatch quickly while actually in the water.

tips? techniques? bright ideas? :shock:

Post subject: Self Rescue
PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2005 6:46 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Marie - did you try re-entry using a paddle with a paddle float? :?:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2005 9:58 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

No - are those really usable? Seems rather a pain to blow them up and put them while you're actually in the water. My hunch is they'd work better in theory than practice, but have you actually used them?

Post subject: Paddle Floats
PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2005 7:39 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Marie wrote:
...but have you actually used them?

Yes, and no. I have used paddle floats in a regular kayak. It was basically impossible to re-enter the kayak without the paddle float.

In about a year and a half, I never had to use a paddle float. Thanks to your topic, you have encouraged me to get out and do some self rescues using a paddle float. Thanks Marie.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2005 7:43 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Marie wrote:
I didn't find a terribly secure way to attach the paddle across the hatch quickly while actually in the water. tips? techniques? bright ideas? :shock:

Are you using a paddle leash? If my paddle is in the way, I just throw it in the water out of the way - it is leashed to the Outback.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2005 5:25 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Quote:
It was basically impossible to re-enter the kayak without the paddle float.

Well that's interesting, because in a sit-inside I had no problem with re-entry. So, I figured the sit-on-top would be even easier. HAH! Guess it was the smaller beam.

I have a paddle leash. Was trying to use the paddle for an outrigger but I couldn't really find a good place to tuck it behind the seat of the sport. Maybe I just need a cooler for some height back there.

After Sunday's experience, yes, I think practicing re-entry is a real good idea. I could get myself back in eventually, in calm water, but would like to be much, much better and quicker. It was amazing how tall my little kayak looked with a fish-eye's view.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2005 3:20 pm 
Authorized Hobie Dealer

Location: 315 N. Hwy 79 Panama City Beach, FL 32413 850-235-2281
We just strap the paddle to the hull using the paddle bugi on the side of the Yak. If you can not get your arm over the middle of the Kayak move a bit for or aft and see if that helps. You can also try to push the kayak up and grab hold of the handle and pull the other side to you, this is very difficult to do....
once the Kayak is right side up just pull yourself in face down, position your mid section just in from of the seat then roll into the seat your rear end should be very close to the seat. I know this all sounds easy so just practice and you will find what works best for you. I have found simply don't flip and the problem is solved :lol:

Thanks,
Brad Stephens
www.sunjammers.com
Hobie Division 15 Chairman
Authorized Hobie/Vanguard/Hunter Dealer
[email protected]
850-235-2281
Panama City Beach, FL

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2005 8:31 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

sunjammers wrote:
...and grab hold of the handle and pull the other side to you...

A handle? My Outback didn't come with a handle and now that I've seen some newer models that have handles, sure wish mine had one. :cry:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2005 5:37 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

All this lovely help and it's been too cold to try it out!!

Rnykster, Appalach put up a post on how to add a handle.

http://www.hobiecat.com/community/viewtopic.php?t=1451&highlight=add+handle

Tho personally I worry about drilling and screwing into the hull.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2005 8:09 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Marie wrote:
All this lovely help and it's been too cold to try it out!!
Rnykster, Appalach put up a post on how to add a handle.

Too cold in Tampa? Or are you somewhere else?
Add a handle? Sorry, the handle I mentioned is hard mounted in the newer Outback designs. I'll not be drilling any holes in my boat for a handle.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2005 9:02 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I am looking at buying a tandem Mirage, and would like to take my kids and swim off it when it gets too hot out. How easy is it for able bodied adults and kids to swim off it and climb back on it with a life jacket on in deep water. If it does flip over is it easy to right and does it have self bailers. Thanks for any help you can give me on these questions.
Tom

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2005 2:20 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Sorry for the late reply, recently found this topic. I didn't see anyone mention a rescue loop(?) or stirrup. I'm wondering if that would be a more easy option for the orignator of this topic?. Basically a loop of rope that can be attached to hang below the yak and be used as a stirrup or step.
I can't comment on how this could or might work, as I haven't practiced any self recovery yet. (haven't had the need as all my kayaking is close to lake shores) I do however have a length of rope that I can use for just such a thing made up and stowd in my outback.

Just a thought.

Troy