Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:40 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 5:21 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I have a 2013 hobie mirage outback, we love the stability,wideness,ride and setup of the outback. Were looking to purchase a tandem Hobie Mirage Kayak, have read most comparisons that oasis is dryer and rides better in rough water, and outfitter is more stable but a wet ride. Can anyone tell me if either is built on the outback mold? I demoed a revolution 13 footer and didn't like the instability.

Fyi: I'm 225 lbs and wife is 160 lbs which tandem would best suit us

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 9:48 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

If the Outfitter is not built on the outback mould it is built on something very similar. However the kayak that you and your wife need is the Oasis. The Outfitter simply doesn't have enough buoyancy to ride well with you both on board.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 2:54 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I agree with stobbo. Oasis 2-1 over outfitter.
Jim

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 4:23 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I would also choose the Oasis. It's incredibly stable in rough waters. You won't be sorry.

2013 Caribbean Blue Outback

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 11:02 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Just dont plan on staying dry in the oasis. "dryer" may be a more accurate term, I dont know. I do know that "dry" is not. You will get went in small chop, even in a lake.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 10:11 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I didn't even look at the Outfitter. I wanted the Oasis from the beginning of my search of Mirage Drive boats. It fitted my wants from a tandem kayak.

As for activities, my wife and I have a travel trailer and enjoy cycling. We usually travel to places and hop on our bikes and see the sights from the saddle. Now we have a kayak to add into the mix. Here's a picture of our rig. Nothing fancy, but we do have mucho fun.
As for our crew, my wife and I are similar in size to you and your wife. Also in the mix is our dog. She's a small (15 lbs) terrier mix. The specs of the Oasis just seemed more appropriate for us.
To help you make your decision, the only advice is to follow your instinct. You know your activity choices, physical needs, athletic abilities, etc. Follow your instinct.

Oh, and test drive every boat you can. When my wife and I went for a test drive on the Oasis, we were sold.

Enjoy,
Longbikermike
sent by iPad using TapaTalk

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 6:11 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I own both an Oasis and a Revo. While the Oasis is basically a stretched Revo, it is several inches wider, and feels a bit more stable. However, both kayaks are plenty stable - I regularly sit with my feet over the side while fishing, and have pulled crab pots, too. The Revo does have some initial rock to it, but only for a few degrees. Get an Oasis, you will not be sorry :D