Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:53 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 10:03 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Hi Matt -

You know that if it can break or wear out, I'll discover the problem. I think the pedals are made with cheap plastic instead of the strong composite material the Drive Unit is made with. My adventure is less than 6 months old and the right pedal has become so loose I had to stop using it today because it was hurting my knee due to the abnormal twisting of the pedal. How long is the warrantee on the Drive Unit and pedals? When the pedals started squealing, I used WD40 as the recommended lubricant.

Please beef up the construction of the Drive Unit parts to deal with the use of Turbo Fins. Or at least, make an alternative quality bicycle type pedal (but with the flat surface your regular pedals have) with sealed bearings available for purchase. The crank arms need to be beefed up to so they won't twist like they do now.

For what it is worth, the pedals have about 680 miles on them and I have not done any jack rabbit starts, no wave riding, and no racing. But I am going to get into some kayak races this year and really wish Hobie made a stronger Drive Unit for racing (not to mention wishing there was a narrower version of the Adventure available.)

Rob

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 5:25 am 
Authorized Hobie Dealer

Location: 315 N. Hwy 79 Panama City Beach, FL 32413 850-235-2281
contact your dealer for warranty.......

http://www.sunjammers.com
www.facebook.com/sunjammers

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 11:02 am 
Site Admin

Same pedals we have been using for years. Maybe the axel has loosened in the shaft?

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 8:19 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

mmiller wrote:
Same pedals we have been using for years. Maybe the axel has loosened in the shaft?
After seeing your axel question, I took a closer look at the pedal wobble problem and you were right Matt. Good call. The problem was not related to the plastic material. On the backside which I hadn't really looked at was a crack. See the attached photo. I'll take it to my local dealer. If cracked cranks become a problem with turbo users, I would encourage Hobie to strengthen the flimsy pedal crank arms that seem to flex (twist) during normal use.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 10:00 am 
Site Admin

I'll pass this on to engineering. Thanks for the heads up. Hopefully this is a machining issue on this part as we have used pretty much the same parts for several years now without seeing much this kind of problem.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2010 10:32 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

mmiller wrote:
I'll pass this on to engineering. Thanks for the heads up. Hopefully this is a machining issue on this part as we have used pretty much the same parts for several years now without seeing much this kind of problem.

My local dealer confirmed Hobie is sending a replacement pedal unit my way. Thanks.