Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:53 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: How to post your photos
PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2005 10:12 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Several folks have asked me about this, so I thought it might be worthwhile to post some info on how I go about this for anyone who may be interested.

For me at least, the best way to do this is to hook up with one of the independent picture or photo processors (free) that will convert your pics into HTML code that you can simply copy and paste into your posts. Then when your post is sent, the Web site software goes out, reads your HTML code on the other site, and automatically enters your pic into your post. There are hundreds of sites out there that do this, with some specializing in fishing and/or hunting pics. I happen to use the Fishing and Hunting Forum Picture Processor, but others may be just as good, if not better.

http://www.forumpictureprocessor.com/pictureprocessor/

You have to register with them, enter your username and password, and you are good to go. It helps if you already have some photo-editing software such as Photoshop or Photoshop Elements, so you can adjust the size/saturation/contrast/color/sharpening, etc. ahead of time in order to speed up the HTML code generation. Otherwise a 5 megapixel pic at 36 by 27 inches in printable size takes a fair amount of time for them to reduce in size and load. You also need to select the proper HTML code for the particular site you wish to post on. I found that the code for Florida Sportsman magazine is the same as needed for this site, as well as for several others, so that is what I use.

Another free hosting service is Photobucket.com:

http://www.photobucket.com/

Another is:

http://www.myfishingpictures.com/

However, the latter service adds the name of their Web site to each of the pics they post, so if you prefer to post a “clean” pic, you might want to use another site. Or you can use Photoshop to remove their Web site advertisement before posting.

I should add that a good way to do these posts is to compose them beforehand in a word processing program like MS Word. Then you insert the URL for your pic directly in the text of the Word document. Next you copy and paste the whole Word document directly into the message window of your target Web site. A huge added advantage of this technique is that if something happens while you are composing your message directly on the Web site, and you lose the whole thing (as has happened to me on more than one occasion!), you can simply go back to your word processing document, re-copy and try again.

Sounds complicated, but it really isn't, and after a few tries it will become second nature. Although some Web sites allow you to spell-check, not all do. So another big advantage of first composing your post in a word-processing program is that you can use their spell/grammar checker to clean up your post and look for errors, before you post it and it goes out for all the world to see! Here are a couple of examples whose HTML codes are buried in the text of the message.
Have fun,
Dick