Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:12 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: GPS Units
PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2005 12:38 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Apalach wrote:
Quote:
OK-you folks have convinced me! DrWilki mentioned the Magellan Meridian Marine as being one good model. What do the rest of you guys use? Soundfisher?? Rnykster??? Ronbo-what model Garmin????
I've got an old Garmin GPSmap76 and despite the abuse it has been through, is still in good shape.

Things to consider before buying a unit: What is your budget? Does it float? Is it water proof? Is it WAAS enabled? Do you want mapping capability? Is it BlueChart compatible? How much memory? How many waypoints does it store? Does it have internal tide chart data?

You can get a basic GPS unit like eTrex for about a hundred dollars. Add bells and whistles and the price goes up. There are walkie-talkie GPS units for sale now that have a range of about 14 miles - perfect for kayaking groups who don't paddle at the same speed. You can buy maping units that can download mapping charts containing detailed data. You can even buy a GPS unit with a built in heart rate monitor. Just how much effort are you really expending to pedal that kayak? Your workout data can then be downloaded to a computer and analyzed. I believe there are also GPS phones now available. Confucius says: "He who dies with the most toys, wins!" :lol: Check out this site: http://www.garmin.com/outdoor/products.html#mapping

Post subject: What type of GPS
PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2005 7:01 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I use a Garmin Quest.
I best fits my needs because i can use it on the Yak or in the car or even on a bike or walking.
Its got a built in 20hour battery.
I think the cost approx 350 Dollars.
I brought mine in the UK at 400 Pounds.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2005 3:45 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Took my new Quest out tonight, on West Lakes here in South Australia. Did a quick 7 kilometre paddle around the island, and would have gone again, but it was getting dark!

Beautiful kayak, simple.

I'm at a slight advantage though, as I'm using a carbon fibre paddle, which just ROCKS. Completely effortless paddling.

I also own a Hobie Mirage Tandem, and I've heard that once people have pedalled, they never paddle again.... not this little duck... no way....

I reckon the Quest is waaaay faster than the Mirage with both the wife & I pedalling. Next time, I'll take my GPS with me, and log the actual times around the island, as well as bursts, and see what the mean times are.

The other thing, after using my Quest, I came up to the shore, got out, and WASN'T sore, so it MUST be right for me!

Cheers

Wolfie

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2005 10:25 pm 
Hobie Approved Guru

Lone Wolf wrote:
I'm using a carbon fibre paddle, which just ROCKS. Completely effortless paddling.

Hey Wolfie,

Sounds like a great purchase! Next time you take the Quest out, would you make a comparison between your carbon fibre paddle and the Hobie paddle? How much difference is there? I've been thinking the Hobie paddle did a pretty good job. But then, I've never tried anything else. I'm always interested in an upgrade that makes the boat go faster! :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2005 10:28 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

No test needed!!!

The carbon Fibre job just, well, blitzes everything. The paddles are waaaay scooped, and drip rings are a thing of the past.

You simply put this paddle into the water, and PULL your kayak up to it, same for the other side, then repeat. Beautiful piece of work indeed.

Just get one, simple....

Cheers

Wolfie

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2005 12:46 am 
Hobie Approved Guru

What brand and model is it? Does it come in different sizes or lengths? I'll start looking!