Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:12 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Value of a Hobie
PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 7:59 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Lets try posting this again.

Looking very closely at a new Hobie Outback or Revolution for fishing. I'm just sort of thinking long term here and wanted to see how a Hobie kayak would hold its value as compared to say a Jon boat or even next to a regular paddle kayak. Just wanted to ask some people that might know from experience.

Thanks. :)

Post subject: Re: Value of a Hobie
PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2010 1:29 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

In 2005, I purchased a new '05 Outback for around $1300 and this year bought a used but not abused 2004 for $900.

Not sure that answers your question, but thought you'd like the numbers to consider.

Good luck.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2010 1:51 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Well that does help me a little. I mean i'm not expecting to use one for 5 years then decide to up and sell it for the price of a new one, and considering they were about the same price in '04 as '05, a $400 loss on a 6 year old machine isnt a bad deal to me if im the one selling it. Granted they cost more now than they did in 2004, but you'd think it would be fairly proportional.

Yes, you have helped indeed. Now im alot closer to the edge of jumping off and buying one for myself. :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2010 7:43 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

This may not help you much, but I've found items like this to hold their value quite well. By "items like this" I mean relatively inexpensive luxury sport items.

For example, I once owned a Yamaha scooter. I paid $900 for it (used), rode it for a year and then sold it for $1100. Next, I owned a Honda Shadow VLX motorcycle. I paid $3200 for it (used), rode it for about 9 years and then sold it for $2500.

If I were to sell my 2010 Oasis ($2500) in about 5 years, I would expect to receive between $1500 and $2000 for it. The only real wrench in my comparison is most likely the differently sized markets for 2-wheeled vehicles versus kayaks. But even so... I have confidence.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 5:58 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I just bought a 09 Outback that was in the water 3 times for $1300.

Check Craiglist in your region.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 6:13 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I've noticed when I check online that most owners of Mirage drive boats try to ask a fairly high price when they sell their boats. You can, however, find some that don't realize the value of their boat, and sell it cheaper. The thing with the Mirage Drive boats is that they really are unique, there really is nothing like them on the used market, so if you're an owner looking to sell, you can ask a big price. Not a lot of people cross shop a Hobie against a traditional kayak. People want the mirage drive or they don't, and those who want the drive, are willing to pay for it. I'd say as a kayak, you'd have a tough time finding anything that holds its value as well as a Hobie with a Mirage Drive.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 1:49 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

aug; That was another point I had considered. The fact that there are hundreds of different sizes and shapes of regular paddle kayaks, but not many people have a peddle system like the Mirage Drive. So your exactly right about being able to ask a big price. As of right now, I feel relatively confident that if I bought one It could be resold and I wouldnt take a giant loss on it.

dtaski; I probably failed to mention, but this will be my first fishing kayak, and if something breaks or is faulty, i'd rather have a store or salesman to complain to as opposed to some random Joe. :twisted:
Call me crazy, and maybe i'm just paranoid but I guess i'm willing to pay a little extra for that.

Thanks again for all the input!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 10:06 am 
Site Rank - Captain

been looking at second hand value and i would say if u spent 1500 on a kayak last year u would probabley get 1200 this year and not much less for the next 3 years. Their desirability is attached to the new models having better features and being able to upgrade to the new features, also travelling or delivery can affect its value on ebay for example.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 2:16 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I think a lot depends on the time of year you would try to sell. Spring and summer prices would be better than say December or January.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 8:50 pm 
Hobie Approved Guru

Lets see, I bought a new Mirage Classic in 2000 for $1100+ tax; sold it in 2006 for $800. Bought a used Oasis in 2003 for $850; sold it in 2007 for $1100. Can't complain. One was replaced by a new Adventure, the other by a new Oasis.

But even if the monetary value of those boats were insignificant, I would replace them with Hobie Mirage Drive kayaks again anyway. IMO, the more significant "Value of a Hobie" lies not in the $, but in the fun, exercise, unique capability (pedal, paddle and sail) and camaraderie -- health benefits that I would otherwise not have today -- priceless! :wink:

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2010 5:51 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Another great point, RR. And by the way these numbers are looking, its gonna hold its monetary value very well. However, as of now i'm just gonna be worried about the good times she'll bring me :D . The wheels are in motion for me to buy a new Hobie kayak extremely soon. Soon, a dream will become reality. 8)

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2010 6:21 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Wishin I was Fishin wrote:
Another great point, RR. And by the way these numbers are looking, its gonna hold its monetary value very well. However, as of now i'm just gonna be worried about the good times she'll bring me :D . The wheels are in motion for me to buy a new Hobie kayak extremely soon. Soon, a dream will become reality. 8)

You won't regret it.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 4:10 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I was in this same boat a couple of month ago. I was looking for a used Revo or two. The best prices I saw in my area (So. Cal) was about $1300 for some 2007 & 2008 rarely-used ones. The cheapest Revo I manage to find was a 2007 beaten-up rental going for $1100 with no paddle. People were selling 10 year old Mirage Classics for $800-$900!

After month of searching, I decided to get new 2010 ones for $1550 (with cart, straps and other stuff thrown in). I figure that in a couple of years I can easily sell them for $1300 if I move out of the area. $100 for each year of use is a great deal!

Another thing to consider is that on the 2010 there are significant improvements over even the 2009. The mirage drive is the V2, the paddle is fiberglass, the seats are the high back ones, and the rudder is stow-n-go (compared to older models). I think just the V2 mirage drive will guarantee my Revo's will hold their value when it comes time to sell.

I suggest you go talk to the local Hobie dealers and see what kind of deal they can cut you before you waste anymore time looking at the used market.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 5:25 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

I am a firm believer in buying used boats on Craigslist. I’ve bought 5 kayaks over the past two years. One was purchased new and the rest used off CL. Last week I picked up a late 2006 Adventure with turbo fins and Hobie sail kit for $900. It shows very little use. The Hobie and another kayak were purchased off CL through wanted ads. Just create a CL ad for any model boat(s) you are looking for. There’s lot’s of folks who have a kayak sitting in the garage collecting dust. You can also do a search of CL in all cities. That will give you an idea of what asking prices are for a particular boat. I doubt if I’ll ever buy a new kayak again.