Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 9:32 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2010 10:00 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Hi Everyone :x
Mrs Kep and I have always really enjoyed using our Mirage Drive Hobie Oasis Tandem since we first saw one on the Hobie website video and then purchased one July 2006. We have always sort of struggled a little bit to lift, then load and unload it on our Toyotas but have somehow managed to make it work with just a minor backache or scrape here and there for our efforts.
Last week Mrs Kep was diagnosed with phase three cancer and had immediate major surgery to remove diseased tissue and organs. While she is out of the hospital for now, and at home recovering , she cannot lift anything over ten pounds for at least 8 weeks. Exercising without lifting is ok within reasonable limits and may help prepare her for whatever comes next. I was hoping to find reasonable suggestions and/or ask if anyone had a suitable trailer locally available or a lifting rack of some sort we could borrow for just a couple months', that would allow me to get her out on our Hobie Kayak a few more times if possible this summer. We are of modest means at the moment or I would buy one outright , she is off work and my work has been slow due to economic reasons which is why I am seeking outside help. I may not have need for either a trailer or a tandem kayak much longer pending the outcome of her medical treatments so if anyone out there has something they think we could use for just a little while, 2 months give or take, or has helpful suggestions on some portable lifting devices I could try, please let me know. I am able to drive locally within Northern California or a bit beyond to pick something up and could leave my contact info, drivers license number etc etc until returning it. I would just like to be able to somehow get her back on the water when/while she is able and to try and lift her spirits without needing her to help me to lift anything heavy, such as while launching or loading

Thanks in advance
Have fun out there
Kepnutz

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2010 2:48 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

G'Day Kep,
I'm very sorry to hear of your wife's illness and pray that she will make a speedy and complete recovery.
I'm sure trips in your Tandem will be very therapeutic.
I found early on with our Tandem that it worked better if I loaded the kayak by myself. :wink:
I am able to load ours from the rear of our vehicle, picking up the bow, resting it on the roof and then sliding it up.
The trick of course is to pick up one end only.
Have you tried any of the side loading options? We have this available locally

I'm sure there would be other options available to you over there. The Hobie DVD shows some type of pull out bar. :)

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2010 8:40 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Thank You Stringy
That looks like an affordable reasonable option. Trailers are convienent but costlier. I just need something for a short while. Thanks for the idea..I will look into something along this angle or make one of some sort. I will pass your kindness to the first mate. :wink: Wish me luck too I think im going to need a bit
Have fun out there
Kepnutz

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2010 9:27 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Depending on what you have as a roof rack, others on the forum here, have made their own with mostly just a piece of pipe the fits inside or alongside the existing rack pipe.

Good luck on what you decide on, and on your wife's treatment.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2010 1:08 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Looks like I will make a device as you suggest Reconlon. The lab reports came back favorable after surgery so hopefully she will be able to return to the water with me at the end of September. Thanks again for the idea of making some sort of a roof rack extender device
Kep