Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:45 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Maiden Voyage
PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2010 3:42 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

My wife and I took our new Oasis out for its maiden voyage over the weekend. I think I finally found an aerobic exercise I enjoy. It has only taken 50 years. Our initial impressions are as follows for those considering buying one:

1. The tandem was much more stable than we expected. Easy to board and exit.
2. Rudder took a little time to master. Small movement is all that is necessary to move the boat.
3. Noted that some are have trouble installing the Mirage Drives. Did not have a problem. My trick was to position myself immediately above the drive so I was looking straight down at it.
4. We were able to move along at a very nice clip with the standard fins.
5. The seats were very comfortable. Both of us were surprised. The new 2010 seats stayed in place.
6. Our only suggestion is to add some type of through hull area at the stern of the kayak for a lock and chain. We keep our kayak at our club's dock and we feel the need to lock up the kayak because it is new. The only way to lock up the kayak was to run a chain through the gap created for the Mirage Drives (which we take home each time). As a result we needed a 20 foot chain. Locking up would have been much easier if we could have run the chain though an area at the stern of the boat. The chain would not fit through the wheel holes.

We are very happy with the purchase.

Post subject: Re: Maiden Voyage
PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2010 4:44 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Congrats on your new yak.

We have really enjoyed our first that we bought 3 yrs ago. We bought the small sail for it and got hooked on sailing as well.

We love Hobie kayaks.

On #6. We use the peddle hole to lock the yak down.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2010 5:01 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Sounds like you've got a lots of great voyages ahead of you.

You might get someone to weld a steel pin smaller than the rear drain hole to the chain. Drill a hole in the end of the pin that will fit your lock.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2010 10:30 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

You could also chain (depending on the chain size) through a scupper hole. A coated cable may actually be more secure.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2010 12:54 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Hey Congrats on your new Oasis. I bought a new one last month and just absolutely love it. I was planning on taking it out tomorrow on Corpus Christi Bay but we had this little thing develop just south of us called Tropical Storm Alex. Even though it doesn't look like we're going to take a direct hit the rain and the wind will put a damper on my plans.
Enjoy your new boat! I agree with the note just before this one recommending a plastic covered cable over the use of a chain. You can purchase that off of a spool and get just as much as you need. Have Fun!!! - Roger

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2010 6:31 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks for the post. I am considering buying the same kayak for my wife and I. Its good to hear the positive reviews. Any pictures?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 2:13 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Why do you need a 20' chain ? Are you going through both drive wells? I would think 1 would be more than sufficient. Good luck with your new boat. Hope you both get many yeas of enjoyment out of it.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 5:53 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

One more comment. I took the kayak out for its first solo voyage over the weekend. I was surprised how easy it was to handle solo. I did not notice an appreciable reduction in speed with only 1 person (my wife claims she was pedaling when she was aboard). I left the black insert out of the front mirage drive space and a small amount of water sprayed in. I remained dry in the back of the kayak. Question:

When others go solo in a tandem do they plug up the front Mirage Drive and scupper holes? What do others find most efficient. Thank you.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 6:35 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I plug up the drive hole with the provided insert. As far as the scupper holes, I haven't spent anytime worrying about them. I also use water jugs as ballast in the front seat area to provide balance by bringing the stem of the boat back closer to the water line. That really helps in a cross wind and also helps increase the theoretical hull speed by increasing the length of the boat at waterline. All other things aside, the boat just handles better with some weight in the front. The good thing about water jugs is that you fill them at the lake, bay, etc. and when you're done you just dump the weight back into the water source. Have fun!! - Roger :D

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 8:28 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hi, I have brought a Hobie Oasis just last weekend, still in set up stage and havent had maiden voyage yet, but looking forward to it. I am keen to make this a positive experience for my wife, so any suggestions regarding clothing etc would be good.

Also any suggestions for good place to launch in and around Port Macquarie