Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:59 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 10:45 am 
Hobie Team Member

I've stuffed my Adventure with pool Noodles.(More on this in a latter thread)

And am looking for a bilge pump in case of leaks. But thinking about it, made me conjecture.

Let's say you have a leak for whatever reason. Chances are your in heavy weather. So the last thing you would want to do is open the midships hatch to pump.

I'm thinking of a small hole with a feed pickup tube to the centerline of the hull. True I'd have to keep in plugged, but it would be small. In an emergency you pull the plug connect the pump, thus keeping any heavy water from entering the hatch.

Has anyone put together a rig like this?

It would be neat if Hobie did something like this as a safety feature on future models. They could provide an inexpensive plastic pump as an add on like the pitot tube. Afterall they have geared the "Adventure" for... adventure. In "harms way" :roll: so to speak.

BTW I added a tube of "Everfix Expoxy Stick" to my emergency kit. It's only 4 oz. You break off a piece, massage with with your fingers and stuff it in a hole. It cures in water, completely hardening in an hour.

Figuring anything electronic is subject to failure, also added an "Orion" alert pocket rocket kit. Three flares with a launcher inside a floatable tube about 7" long.

In addition to adding reflector tape to the hull topside for night fishing, put a three foot piece on the bottom in case of being hulied when copter flies over.

Looked at the online video of those guys fishing for threshers and the one guy getting a Rappela lure in his chin. Then they spent 15 minutes trying to cut the hook with wire cutters someone had.

Bought a small pair of bolt cutters. Sprayed with WD40, put in sack to have handy. There only 7-8" long, $7 at the local hardware.

Aloha

Dan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 5:54 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Dan... Sounds like you're getting geared up for some serious kayaking! For the bilge pump you might want to consider attaching the pump handle to one of the Mirage Drive pedal shafts. That way the pump would always be in service.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2006 9:05 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Hey Dan,
Some good ideas there--I especially like that "Everfix Epoxy Stick." Will have to check that out.

Normally with a SOT, you don't really need a bilge pump since all the "serious" water goes out thru the scuppers. But if someone has hatch or hull leaks, then it might come in handy.

Also your emergency flare kit--reminded me of the Island yaker a year or so back who was out for a "short" paddle and ended up some 85 miles south of the Big Island. Now this guy was an experienced paddler (or so he thought), but he didn't have a clue where land was (no compass), nor did he have any emergency gear. He was finally found (I think) about 3 days later on just about the last pass of one of the CG search and rescue planes. His tale has been on one of the Discovery or similar channels at the time, as well as CNN . He apparently got caught in one of those horrendous currents between Molokai and the Big Island, and was unable to make much headway against it.

I also carry a pair of heavy duty linesman's sidecutter pliers for the hook "removal" gig, but I like your idea of the small bolt cutters better.
Best,
Dick