Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 4:30 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Seat failure
PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 9:10 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Was out for my first trip of the season last weekend when I felt something give in the seat. Twisting around, I could see a white rib sticking up several inches out of the seat on one side. I pushed it back in several times but it would quickly work itself back out. Finally I gave up on it and just tried position myself as comfortably as possible in the now lopsided seat. However, I guess that put too much strain on the other side because half an hour later that side also gave way. From that point on pedaling became extremely uncomfortable on my lower back. When it became too excruciating, I hauled on my bow line with my non-rudder hand to relieve the pressure on my back. Luckily I was on the way home and had only a few miles to go.

When I finally did get back, I examined the seat and found that both of the back straps had been torn off, allowing the ribs to escape their sleeves:

The material of each sleeve is doubled over by 3/4" at each end, forming small pockets presumably designed to trap the ends of the ribs. Those pockets are still intact, so either the ribs were never put into those pockets or the ribs managed to slip out. However, it's hard to see how the latter would happen in ordinary use as the ribs would be a pretty tight fit in the pockets. Anyway, with the ribs out of the pockets, the only thing holding them in was the stitching of the straps, and that wasn't strong enough.

So now I'm wondering what's the best way to fix it. I had no luck trying to get the ribs back into the pockets. Is there a trick to it, or are the sleeves sewn onto the seat with the ribs already inserted? And then how to keep them from coming out again (assuming they were correctly assembled in the first place)? Maybe drill the ribs and rivet the whole thing together? Any ideas appreciated.

Post subject: Re: Seat failure
PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 12:45 pm 
Hobie Approved Guru

Try an auto upholstery shop. They should be able to stitch those staves in. 8)

Post subject: Re: Seat failure
PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 7:41 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Both seats on my 2005 Outfitter did the same thing. The stitching wore out. I stuck the inserts back into their slots and restitched the seams by hand with a stout needle and thread. Not an elegant solution, but it worked. I'll probably be ordering the new style seats anyway, as the ones in my 2010 boat are much more comfortable.

Keith