Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:42 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 5:51 pm 
Site Admin

Here are the instructions for the bungee replacement on the Twist-n-Stow rudder system. We have replaced the small loop of bungee with a length of line in all production to ensure consistant rudder retraction.

We will be making a kit available to dealers shortly.

http://www.hobiecat.com/support/pdfs/Adventure_Bungee_Replacement.pdf

http://www.hobiecat.com/support/pdfs/Outfitter_Bungee_Replacement.pdf

This is a free retrofit, but the extension "pigtail" can be made by anyone who is handy with line, knots or swages. That is why I included the drawing of the extension pigtail in the instructions.

It will take us some time to get these out to dealers, so if you want one, just place a request with your dealer. I have not yet notified dealers of the kits, but wanted to get the information out to owners. This can confuse dealers, but I figure it is worth it.

The issue is with Adventure and Outfitter Twist-n-Stow rudders produced before January 2006. There was a short loop of bungee in the up-control line system that we removed. The Bungee was a safety item for the rudder system if you tried to force the rudder down bt hand. The stretch or length of this bungee was inconsistent and caused some rudders to be difficult to lift. Many / most boats seemed to be fine and required slight tuning to make them work, but the system is much easier to use with the Bungee removed. Having a direct line connection from the handle to the rudder drum makes the rudder up-control more consistent, even with the bigger rudder we offer as an accessory.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2006 5:26 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I have done the modification with a 50 cent piece of spectra cord and it works a treat...the rudder now lifts everytime without fail. Thanks Matt.

Cheers
Mark

Post subject: Question for Matt
PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2006 10:04 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

On our outfitter the rudder works fine if we are not moving, but if we are moving at 2 or 3mph it doesn,t want to go up. Is this the problem addressed here? I was under the impression our "moving" problem was due to the angle motion of the twist and stow.

Thanks in advance.

Post subject: Issue
PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2006 9:40 am 
Site Admin

I would say that fits the description. If you can move the handle and the rudder does not retract (you feel a stretch in a bungee - load) this is a symptom of the bungee not working properly.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2006 3:39 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I received my new Adventure last week and upon inspection could find no bungees in the rudder retraction system. Have they now being replaced on the newer boats, or am I missing something?

P.S. I really like the new hatches. :D