Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 1:51 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: San Juan Islands WA
PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 5:38 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Looked at all the entries under places to yak, however anyone been to the San Juan Islands? Bainbridge? Whidbey? How long is the boating season and where to go, etc? Okay, even -- how is it as a place to live for boating? I have a Revo.... Thanks

Post subject: Re: San Juan Islands WA
PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 11:41 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Hi Lula,
I spent my boyhood and young adult life living around and near Puget Sound. It's a great place for boating and many people own watercraft of some sort. The water is well protected by the Olympic Mountain Range to the west which wards off alot of the weather coming off the Pacific. The climate is very temperate and even though it is known for it's drizzly rain, with the right clothing you can do just about anything you want most of the year. That being said there are some special considerations unique to the entirety of the Sound that need to be considered. First the water is very cold. My brother who is an avid canoeist seldom goes out without a wet suit just in case he flips the boat. Secondly, it can be very foggy, very fast especially in the winter months. The visibility can drop to just a few feet so caution should be exercised and people need to really pay attention to conditions. Finally there is the tides. The tides rise and fall several feet every day. You mentioned Whidbey Island. On the east side of that island is a waterway known as Deception Pass. During tidal changes the water takes on the characteristics of a large, fast river. During the incoming tide it rushes one way and during the outgoing it goes the other. Although people traverse the pass with boats during these events extreme care should be taken. Another tidal occurance can be finding yourself stranded in a backwater area when the tide goes out. Fortunately that just results in waiting for the incoming tide. Aside from a few special considerations this area is wonderful. The scenery is breathtaking and the opportunities for good boating are endless. I would highly recommend you investigate Puget Sound further. As for me at my age I think I'll stick with the warmer waters of the Gulf. Happy Yakking!!! :D - Roger

Post subject: Re: San Juan Islands WA
PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2010 5:21 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Hi Roger,

What a wonderfully descriptive explanation of the area!! I value your comprehensive feedback and look forward to checking the area out this fall. A mechanic at work also grew up there and speaks very fondly of it. I certainly can appreciate your desire for warm water and have been encouraged by a native Texan friend to head that way as well. Just can't picture myself there.... Thanks again for your helpful message. Happy yakking to you, too!