Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 7:23 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 2:13 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I have a double Mirage Oasis that I often use single handedly in the ocean and wonder if it is possible to fit an electric motor to the rudder position without it sitting too low in the water when under power. I weigh approx 190 pounds when in my Kayak gear. I have considered the Evolve kit but am concerned about it's price and limited range. Can anyone in the know answer the following

Is having an electric motor on the back of the Kayak a concern when only 1 person if in the Kayak

Does the evolve kit sit low enough in the water when fitted to the front pedal well with only a single person at the back

Thanks for your help

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 10:44 pm 
Hobie Approved Guru

Sheppy, welcome to the forum. IMO, the best use of the evolve is in the hybrid mode (along with easy pedaling) where you can achieve some excellent range. In the single kayaks that means it has to use the rudder mount. The evolve rudder works great when on, but when not running, would only provide marginal control on the Oasis in the ocean with higher demands from wind and chop. So a tandem application is really the best of both worlds with maximum rudder authority from the large Hobie rudder at all times' and hybrid power (evolve in the front well, fins in the rear well) available at all times.

The whole package weighs only about 15 lb. If you went with the rudder mount, you would put the battery (about half the weight) forward. The 7 or 8 lb. motor wouldn't have any significant weight effect on the stern. On the other hand, with a front drivewell mount you should be running with ballast in the bow to keep the evolve from occasionally sucking air in the ocean chop. Whenever soloing the Oasis though, ballast improves handling and performance, regardless. Under that circumstance the evolve should work very well in the front drivewell.

All that said, I have several hours with the evolve with both drivewell and rudder mount with various combinations of motor, pedals and sail; I have lots of solo time in the Oasis, but I have never tried the evolve on a tandem. I think it would be the perfect application though. If you try it, be sure and keep us posted! 8)

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2010 8:53 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hi and thanks for the very informative post. I'll update you in which way I "jump"
Cheers