Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 8:29 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 7:16 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I just bought my Oasis and plan to use it this weekend but it was a bear to put on my Explorer's roof with the basic Thule rack cross bars. The Thule Hullavtor looks like great way not to ruin your back.

Reading the spec's in Hobies brochure, the Oasis "hull" weight is 69 lbs. and the Hullavator is rated to handle 75lbs. This is almost a must have for me as my wife is 5'4 and I don't want to trailer it. By "hull" weight being 69 lbs. does Hobie mean without the rudder and cable system, storage lids and handles, or the hull as spec'd less the drives/paddles seats?

I don't want to drop almost $500. on something that isn't rated to handle the basic Oasis if it's is actually more than the 69 lbs. stated in the brochure.

Anyone have an opinion? The sales guy said it should be fine but I'm not so sure.

Update, I called Hobie. Hull weight is just that, 69 lbs but that doesn't include the rudder cables, handles, hatch covers etc. that are on the boat "without" putting the seats on or bungeeing the paddles. They will contact me next week with the weight including the rudder cables, and attachments on the hull less any accessories so the true weight of the boat is known. Anyone use the "Hullavator" and have an opinion good or bad?

2011 Oasis Ivory Dune

Last edited by 65Strad on Sat Jun 18, 2011 2:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2011 10:27 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Hi 65Strad,

I read your entry and immediately called my brother who uses a Hullivator to lift his two sea kayaks. He doesn't think it will be an issue for your Oasis. One of his boats with all its' rudder gear etc. outweighs the limits listed and he stated that it lifts it with ease. If you want to consider a less expensive option, I used the basic Thule rack with the telescoping feature on the one set and lifted my Oasis easily. I became lazier with age and have now replaced all racks with a Trailex aluminum trailer. Personally, I'm not going to go back from that because it's the easiest yet. I think you'll be OK with the hullivator. Most products have more capacity than what they are rated for. The companies usually put a rating on products to dodge legal issues. Good Luck! - Roger

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2011 2:02 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Much thanks for the reply Roger. I got the Hullivator this morning at Jersey Paddler in Brick NJ (great place to do business, owner John, and the guys, Ed, Rob etc.), and it works like a charm on my Ford Explorer. Wife is 5'4 and it's a piece of cake and the absolute right solution for us once we got the technique down.

Getting familiar with the Oasis, and it seems to be a quite capable hull. Looking forward to fishing as we get more comfortable with it. Went in the Manasquan River Pt Pleasant NJ side near the inlet. Despite the wake from the boats,the hull stability is outstanding. You can tell that the hull can handle it all with ease. Apparently Thule made some improvements to the "Hullivators" hardware to make it more resistant to rust.

This (kayaking) is still a brand new experience, and a fantastic one at that!

2011 Oasis Ivory Dune

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2011 2:26 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

That's great to hear 65Strad,
This next winter when things get a little too cold for comfort, you load up your boat on the Explorer, grab your fishing gear and head on down for a little fishing excitment in the bays of south Texas. There's some Reds down here with your name on them. Just give me some notice so I can let the boss know I need a few days off. :D - Roger