Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 9:21 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2010 3:02 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Hallo Hobiefans!

I am new to this forum, but have read it for at least a year. Owner to a Hobie Adventure. I am a member of DailyPaddle.com where you can race whenever and wherever you want. Chose a distans, go out and make an effort. Report the result on Dailypaddle.com. For now I am the only pedeldriven participant.

Come on! Lets show the paddlers what a Miragedrive can do!

Thomas Freye
Sweden

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2010 10:34 pm 
Hobie Approved Guru

Thomas, very impressive results! Doing a 100 Km race was amazing enough, not to mention your 24 hour marathon! It was interesting to look at your speed vs. distance. Also I noticed the longer the race, the more advantage the Mirage Drive has over paddles.

I think your speeds with the Adventure are excellent for a boat of this size. I do something somewhat similar, logging speeds at 2.4 statute miles, one hour and (occasionally) 2 hours. Although it's mostly for exercise, a little competition brings out the best effort in each of us.

You're representing the Hobie/foot powered contingent very well; I'll look forward to watching your results as you continue to post times! 8)

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2010 6:09 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Thanks Roadrunner!

I have read lots of your interesting posts. For me it is of special value that you replied. You have made lots of speed test of different Hobie kayaks.

The 100km race and 24hour race are in fact the same race.
The 100km is just the first part of the 24hour race. And I will newer do this again. My body was really worn out.

The last 22km was not funny at all. But I needed to beat three paddlers with the same result, 120,7km. So I was kind of motivated.

I am 57 years old with no more than awerage condition. (5km jogging/running in 28min). I was hoping for more competitive participants that really could do something better than me.

I have also noted that for longer races the differences get smaller and the Hobie Adventure can compete. If you check what other kayaks the paddlers have, you can see that it is really not any toys for just playing in the water.

I also belive that the Adventure can compete when you have lots of wind/chops against you.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2010 1:01 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Very IMPRESSIVE Kal

Quite an interesting website I must admit. I have never even thought about racing in my Hobie Revoluion but they are having some local fund raisers I thought might be fun. I am not sure about racing though I pretty much just pleasure cruise/fish/exercise. I have done long jaunts of 22K, 16K, and many averaging about 13K. I cannot even imagine pedaling a 100K race. Kudos to you for that alone.

Against a wind you have an advantage or at least I think so. I paddle with a local kayaking group which Hobie kayaks are few and far between. 98% are paddle kayaks and many touring types. Into chop and/or a headwind the Mirage Drive is far less effort than a paddle and in some cases breezes past those struggling against the wind. That is what I have found in my revolution and I am sure the Adventure is even quicker against a wind.

You could make very impressive times in comparison pedaling an upwind race for sure.

Hats off to you .

Revo

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2010 8:09 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Kal,

That was a really interesting web site. I like Revo, had never considered racing. However, since I read about what you have been doing I found out that they have a Kayak race in a few weeks here in Corpus Christi, Texas going up the Nueces River. Unfortunately they will not allow any kayaks with pedal systems. Obviously someone with a Hobie probably raced in previous years and made the rest of the competition jealous. Whatever the case maybe those of us with Hobies can get our own catagory going as they have this race broken down into many different groupings. It will be something I can look into. Thanks!! :D Roger

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 5:30 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

1km - 0,621miles - 00h-06m-09s - 9,756km/h - 6,062Mph

5km - 3,107miles - 00h-32m-27s - 9,245km/h - 5,745Mph

10km - 6,214miles - 01h-07m-29s - 8,891km/h - 5,525Mph

25km - 15,534miles - 03h-10m-19s - 7,882km/h - 4,897Mph

100km - 62,137miles - 15h-33m-00s - 6,501km/h - 4,039Mph

122,2km - 75,932miles - 24h-00m-00s - 5,092km/h - 3,164Mph

These are my results with a Hobie Adventure and turbofins. (I hope the chart will look as OK as it is when I write this).

As you can see, you just need to spend about 6 minutes of your time to beat me in a 1 km run. And who will be the first to make 5 km under 30 minutes? I am sure you can just change units in your GPS from miles to km. Please join me on DailyPaddle.com and let there be more than just one Hobie! It is not really a race site, it is a training site. (and you dont have to make a 24h run at all!)

I have read o lot of posts about "Need for speed" and how fast the mirage drive and Hobie kayaks are. Well, what about some solid proofs?

Have nice time on the water!

thomas freye