Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 3:21 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2022 8:17 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hello,

A couple of hours ago, I bought what I think is a 2001 Mirage Classic 12' with a bunch of extra accessories, but it seems to need some work before I get it out on the water.

I've never owned a foot powered kayak of any kind so I'm brand new to this.

Pics.

I could use some pointers on things I ought to do to the drive.

Questions:
  • What model of drive is this?
  • One of the fins is torn but both feel kind of squishy. I know I need to replace the blown out one but do you think I'll need to replace both at the same time (do you think the "good" one will fail imminently)?
  • What are my fin options and is there a reasonably good way that if I bought used that I wouldn't get ones that were overripe? I tend to be a penny pincher but I'm interested in what the options are. As my friend's father used to say, "looks like you're putting a hundred dollar saddle on a ten dollar horse." I want to avoid that.
  • Looking at a parts list, I seem to be missing the aft "sprocket guard fwd" and "outhaul block." I'm guessing the previous owner got along fine with out them. Do you have an argument for/against? (Edit: I may have been looking at the parts list for a newer model.)
  • Any other observations about it? (Missing parts, etc.?)
  • Any other maintenance I should do to this thing?
  • Any other words of wisdom?

Thanks,
Jamie

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2022 10:25 am 
Site Admin

This is a second-generation drive V1—plastic drums. Originally was aluminum.

Not many parts are available for this drive. Fins, yes. Sprockets, guards, chains... no.

You could do a V1 to V2 update, but then you would need other parts.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2022 2:35 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks for the info.

Since I have only two out of four sprocket guards, is there any sense in putting the ones I've got on the fore side of the sprockets and leaving off the aft sides?

It seems like my best course is to go the cheapest route and either find one cheap replacement for the broken standard fin (and hope that my other one stays intact for a while) or upgrade both fins to the STs.

It seems like the ST Turbos might not be a good idea based on some reading that they could stress the V1 drive. Looks like they're also about $200 with the longer masts.

I'll check on the classifieds whether anybody has a standard fin that they'd let go for cheap. Otherwise, I'll go for a pair of STs.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2022 7:37 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

jamiejackson wrote:
It seems like the ST Turbos might not be a good idea based on some reading that they could stress the V1 drive. Looks like they're also about $200 with the longer masts.

I'll check on the classifieds whether anybody has a standard fin that they'd let go for cheap. Otherwise, I'll go for a pair of STs.

On the V1 drives, the Turbo fins will provide you with better speed than the standard fins, and I recommend them. But if you can find somebody who is using a V1 drive with Turbo fins, they may still have the standard fins sitting in their garage, and you might be able to buy them for little money.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2022 10:14 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

A local shop had some used STs (non -turbo) and I took them for a test drive today. Everything went okay and I accidentally caught a couple of good catfish, but I took on some water during a 5 hour paddle and broke the rudder on the world's weirdest kayak launch (while taking out).

I'll be doing the bubble test to see what's leaking and I'll see if I can epoxy the rudder.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2022 7:00 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I have the exact same drive. Does anyone know what the black plastic clip that attaches the rear of the fin to the shaft is called so I can search for a replacement. https://ibb.co/VVLxsLq