Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 4:05 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2015 6:04 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

it is the version 2.......prob three years........3 trips=close to$3600......problems every time(some my fault.....line in prop)and some just too many working parts in the system that werent perfected by manufacturer.........if all these problems were so common(which obviously they are by all the posts on differant kayak sites......i think as a company..... they should at minimum offer the people that have had multiple breakdowns a fix or replacement at cost(mo loss but no gain for people who already paid).......so the customers would not feel raped and be able to speak highly of the system which would entail more sales for the manufactuer......i have tons of friends with hobies,but after seeing the stress this system put me through......they sure as hell wouldnt buy one even if everything was adressed,because of how much i put into it and am still scared of failures........just my honest opinion

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2015 6:15 pm 
Site Admin

That's not opinion... that is your experience. Totally understood and why we pressured Torqeedo to get it right. They have responded very well we think.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2015 11:53 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

im glad they are listening to hobie,but that doesnt do anything for me or others with past models of the evolve that have constantly had errors ,splitting wiring harnesses (which i bought again),blown fuses that they cant replace(and have to ship back to be repaired...which i did),stranded on trips(which has happened multiple times)......and then were basically told that they were aol...........funny how now all the parts coming out in the new version are what i was told was not under warranty from either hobie or torqeedo. i know that if it was'nt for this....i would have used that $ to justify a 2015 outback for the seat and ff system upgrades......but now im not sure if i want to ,as torqeedo or hobie never offered to make it right and i have spent close to 10k between the two companies with the evolve , 2 outbacks, and a revo i have bought.....but dont get me wrong......i never wanted a handout,but to make $ off of me twice when they knew these defects were as common as they were......they should have at least offered to sell me the parts at cost to fix mine or sell me they new model at cost!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2015 9:38 am 
Site Admin

I have asked about motor reworks as an option for earlier models. Certainly made sense to me as well. I'll continue to pursue them on the issue of upgrades for older models, but innovation and product improvements with hindsight... always a challenge.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2015 1:30 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

thats awesome,but they way i had to pay for all the replacement parts,service,and shipping......i doubt they will honor that!but if they did my faith in humanity will be resurected :mrgreen: thanks

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2015 2:41 pm 
Site Admin

ride123 wrote:
i doubt they will honor that!

Yeah, maybe a stretch for a motor with 3 something years use. I'll keep on the concept though.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 7:36 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

mmiller wrote:
I have asked about motor reworks as an option for earlier models. Certainly made sense to me as well. I'll continue to pursue them on the issue of upgrades for older models, but innovation and product improvements with hindsight... always a challenge.

Matt.. thanks for championing this for us! Fingers crossed it happens =) Also thanks for sharing a v3 will be coming in 6 months or so.. I was on the verge of buying a second eVolve for my new Outback but I'm not in a rush so I'll wait. Will there be any revisions to the rudder mount.. like a more Sail Rudder style mount?

A tip for anyone who burns out their motor.. it might be cheaper to buy the motor part from the Hobie catalog (comes fully assembled, wire and a new prop installed) than have it repaired by a Torqeedo dealer. In my case is was about $180 cheaper because I eliminated the labor costs. Taking apart the original parts to attach to the Hobie replacement part took less than 30 minutes; whereas the dealer was going to actually change the motor then reassemble and reseal the casing.

Matt.. is the cabling material issue you refer too have anything to do with the rubber cracking?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2015 9:36 am 
Site Admin

Not a "Version 3" but they have accumulated improvements over the last couple of years. No change in what we call it, cable connections (that was the difference between V1 and V2) or anything else.

I have not gotten traction on any upgrade program.

Cable covers were one of the corrected items they listed.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 2:58 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Just a word about my First model Ultralight Torqeedo 402, it is still working after 5 years with no problems and the only reason I can still kayak after beginning Chemo years ago which robs you of most of your strength.
I had to give up Surfing, Hang Gliding and Cycling but thanks to Torqeedo I can still paddle and sail my boats.

You can see it mounted here on my 2009 AI, just after this video was shot a squall approached and we had to run for home and safety, I used the Torqeedo to short cut against the wind instead of Tacking and got back way ahead of my mate.
The new battery with 40% more capacity almost doubles my range.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5fYWC4kLgAI