Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:23 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 12:35 am 
Site Rank - Captain

More lunacy from my trip to Big Sur - shot these today. Very very costly day; lost my GoPro (loaded with footage) and my drive in the drink (with turbo fins!!!). But I learned a LOT about timing monster waves. See below, high res on my site...

Graduating from adventure junkie to dealer. Get your fix at http://www.fasterfarther.com

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 1:56 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Lunacy is spot-on! :lol:

But at least it looks like the bloke in those shots (just!) made it over that one!

Sorry to hear about the gear-loss though...

Did you have a drive-leash - something like this is easy to make:

http://www.akff.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=50904

Mike.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 7:38 am 
Site Rank - Captain

mingle wrote:
Lunacy is spot-on! :lol:

But at least it looks like the bloke in those shots (just!) made it over that one!

Sorry to hear about the gear-loss though...

Did you have a drive-leash - something like this is easy to make:

http://www.akff.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=50904

Mike.

Mike, I am the bloke with providence filling my sails and I did that a few times yesterday - just barely clearing the rail of the wave before the gate closed shut hard. I was the only one out there for some reason?! Haha. The commitment to just hammer the pedals when you know the timing is right is gut wrenching because there is no half-pedaling it at all. Its gogogogoggo! I actually got dumped only one time yesterday, surfing a wave back in - the rudder bolt slackened and I was pushed broadside as the wave collapesed. Got to inspect the inside of the ocean for a bit and came up $800 lighter. Boat was otherwise ok.

Drive leash. Wow. What a great idea! *sigh*

Graduating from adventure junkie to dealer. Get your fix at http://www.fasterfarther.com

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 1:17 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

:shock: :shock: :shock:

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 9:57 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

OMG that is the coolest thing, also sorry about your gear, making my mirage system a leash now from a pistol leash. lol no joke

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2012 12:58 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

VLG wrote:
OMG that is the coolest thing, also sorry about your gear, making my mirage system a leash now from a pistol leash. lol no joke

Hobie makes a really trick leash that fits perfectly onto the drive and boat; and it has a nice quick release clip and an elastic coil chord. I'll try to post a few pics of my leash tonight. It's only $20 :)

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 3:19 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

cryder wrote:
Hobie makes a really trick leash that fits perfectly onto the drive and boat; and it has a nice quick release clip and an elastic coil chord. I'll try to post a few pics of my leash tonight. It's only $20 :)

(don't mean to hijack the thread, but it's worth mentioning if it can save someone the price of a new mirage drive)

I tested a Hobie leash to destruction - that plastic clip is the weak-link.

The one I made up using a heavy-duty paddle-leash and the two s/steel spring clips (each rated at 200kg breaking-strain) was able to support 85kg of dead-weight. I didn't go any further than that!

The weakest link (when attached to the yak) would be the plastic pad-eye. I suspect they could probably handle 30+kg of weight, but if it was a concern you could always attach it to a proper s/s pad-eye bolted through the hull.

Cheers,

Mike.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 8:27 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

cryder wrote:
VLG wrote:

Mine failed the first time I rolled my kayak in the sand, I was lucky not to loose my drive. Made one myself with some rope.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 8:40 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Dan Morera wrote:
cryder wrote:
VLG wrote:

Mine failed the first time I rolled my kayak in the sand, I was lucky not to loose my drive. Made one myself with some rope.

Your Hobie leash failed on a simple roll over? Wow. Appreciate the heads up, thx guys. Time to rethink that one. And yeah, it reallllllly sucks to loose a drive (thankfully I found a Hobie dealer in Moss Landing that had a drive ready to go with Turbo fins - so I didn't loose more then half a day of Kayaking).

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 10:08 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Well it was not just due to the roll over, the drive got sucked by the waves and sand, while trying to recover (get my fishing rod and camera) I grabbed the leash a wave got to me and moved the kayak and me, the leash failed the the drives end, I was lucky enough to jump on top of it and grab it.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 6:19 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

For the non english speakers who follow this forum it might be a good idea to distinguish properly between the words "lose" (a verb as in "I don't want to lose something overboard") and "loose" (an adjective as in "that screw is loose") :wink:

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 7:06 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

stobbo wrote:
For the non english speakers who follow this forum it might be a good idea to distinguish properly between the words "lose" (a verb as in "I don't want to lose something overboard") and "loose" (an adjective as in "that screw is loose") :wink:

You totally lost me.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 7:32 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

stobbo wrote:

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 10:38 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Stobbo - you must stop all this loose talk before we lose the thread :)

Actually this is a good reminder to build a stout drive leash before I manage to drop mine overboard one way or another - given my ability to drop things off kayaks.