Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 3:40 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 12:05 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

As our population ages and often gains weight in an era of expensive gas/smaller vehicles and limited storage space, the Sport for many of us might be an alternative.

We are not talking about racers/tri aths/ocean goers and thrill seekers, but guys, who want a Mirage that is light in weight, easy to put in the back of a pickup or on top of a smaller auto and doesn't need half of a two car garage for storage.

Last year in our area and this year, I saw a few guys in the above weight categories with their Sports and enjoying them for recreation and some light fishing.

A couple said that they were over the 225# limit and under the 245 limit before Hobie lowered the Sport's weight limit to 225#. They enjoy the ease and use of their Sports for their needs. The only common complaint was a wet butt syndrome.

Anyone out there at or over the # limit of the Sport and still enjoy it.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2012 10:01 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I got my Sport in late Dec. I bought it for wildlife photography. No paddle to spook the wildlife. But as my buddy has a Hobie to fish with I was very soon using mine for that. I`m 5,11" at 165 pounds. I have this 7 pound weiner dog that lives in my vest, Add to that some rods, tea, food, and other gear. I think that 225 is just dreaming unless you really like a very wet butt. I can put my Sport in the bed of my Dodge D-250 and shut the tailgate. I have it on the plug in cart thing when I do that. The very tip of the stern sits on top of the tailgate. This lets me hook up to my RV. I have 5 other kayaks but none have seen any use due to that Mirage Drive thing.