Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:32 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2006 6:09 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I notice a tick on every left side push. I've cranked the retention mechanism as tight as possible. This seems to be a "looseness" in the drive mechanism itself.

What are the specifications for tightness of the various nuts. What is likely to cause this? Should I lubricate the friction surfaces with a heavy grease?

On a positive note - the Adventure and the Outback we bought for our river have been everything we hoped for. Fast, fun and great exercise! I wish the Outback wasn't so much noisier than the Adventure - the rounded waist parts of the hull tend to slap even in very calm water. Anything that could be done about this?

Post subject: Tick
PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2006 10:17 am 
Site Admin

Tick? I am guessing the chain on a sprocket tooth. The chain may be a little twisted due to the tensioning?

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

Post subject: Chain tensioning?
PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2006 10:44 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I have never changed tensioning - the unit is as delivered several months ago and it did not make this noise until recently.

What should I do?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2006 3:11 pm 
Site Admin

Tick... same guess, The chain on a sprocket tooth. Seems to happen at full stroke (with the fins are against the hull). At least that is what I saw on one. I didn't get to review or resolve the issue though.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

Post subject: Annoying tick sound
PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2006 6:39 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I believe it does happen at the end of the stroke, left pedal.

Once again.....
What should I do?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2006 8:47 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Hey alexcomp,

Have you checked the pedals (the pedalplate you put the foot on).

They can also make a "ticking" noise if moving from side to side (on newer, lighter revisions of the Mirage drive at least). There is a cap in the pedal one can remove and a nut inside. Tightening them up too much might cause the pedals to not rotate properly. I would prefer a ticking noise over that.

Post subject: Pedals
PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2006 9:30 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I'll take a look...

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2006 12:15 pm 
Site Admin

Tick.

I think it coould be the chain is pulled further to one side than the other. Loosen the nut on the "long" side and tighten the other. Just a guess.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2006 10:44 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

alexcomp wrote:
What are the specifications for tightness of the various nuts. What is likely to cause this? Should I lubricate the friction surfaces with a heavy grease?
I've asked on the forum here and talked to several dealers concerning maintanenance and have gotten different answers from all of them. I've heard to use WD 40, Lithium Grease, Silicon Spray, to use nothing at all. My first drive unit to this day, still clicks on every pedal stroke, on only one side, and it does so intermittently.

Last edited by Rnykster on Tue Jul 25, 2006 10:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Maintenence
PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2006 11:33 am 
Site Admin

We show WD40 as a water displacer and lubricant in the manual. We use a bearing grease on the shafts during assembly. We are all still learing about long term maintenence of the drives. Many people may have differing opinions on what is best.

I promise a kayak T shirt to the one who discovers the reason for the tick. We are not really sure here. This does seem to come and go. I suspect the chain twists a little and catches the last sprocket tooth some times.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2006 2:48 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

We're building a couple of Sports for delivery and I think I see where the clicking is coming from.

The pin on the pedal adjustment mechanism seems to be a bit small for the holes drilled in the drum. There's definitely a clicking there on the two drives we just unwrapped.

Dog

Post subject: clicking
PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2006 3:13 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

My drive for my new Adventure clicked also as a result of the pedal adjustment pin being slightly smaller than the locating holes. However, for some reason, I only hear this clicking when testing the pedals with the drive not installed in the boat. I was concerned about the noise, but I haven't heard it yet out on the water. So I suspect the clicking the guys above are referring to here is something else.

Post subject: Re: Maintenence
PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2006 10:34 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

mmiller wrote:
I promise a kayak T shirt to the one who discovers the reason for the tick. We are not really sure here. This does seem to come and go. I suspect the chain twists a little and catches the last sprocket tooth some times.
I suggest for those annoyed with the tick - put on a set of headphones and pedal to the cadence of their favorite tunes. They'll soon forget about the tick or may even be altering the cadence of their tick to coincide with the thump of the music. :wink:

Post subject: clicking
PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2006 9:53 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

My 2nd time out I picked up the clicking or tapping sound with the right pedal. It was caused by rotating the locking cam nut the wrong direction on the pin. It seemed to cause the rt fin to tap the hull.
I haven't heard it since.

Post subject: Re: Maintenence
PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2006 6:40 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

mmiller wrote:
We show WD40 as a water displacer and lubricant in the manual. We use a bearing grease on the shafts during assembly. We are all still learing about long term maintenence of the drives. Many people may have differing opinions on what is best.

I had the same problem and it turned out to be the pedal getting loose in it's press-in fitting. The new pedals are a press fit and when that fit got loose it created a tick sound. Mine got bad enough that the pedal was about to fall out. I sent it in to KFS and they sent me another pedal / arm assembly.