Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 2:06 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2012 12:22 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hi, I hope someone can help me with this:

My steering line has broken several times at the place where the line comes though the rudder drum bolt. I guess line rubs on the edge of the hollow stainless steel drum bolt and then breaks. This has happen twice over the last year and I don't use my Kayak that often.

If any body can make a repair suggestion I'd sure appreciated it....It really sucks when your rudder give up the ghost while Ocean Kayaking.

Also, the screws that are used to secure the steering lines are screwed into plastic and one of the screws is stripped. Can anyone give me advice on a fix for this.

Thank you,

Mac

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 11:03 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I can't help you much with the line breaking, the stripped out plastic I have an idea. I would use a 2 part epoxy such as JB weld and fill the screw hole flush to both sides. After curing drill a new hole matched to the size of the screw. It should self thread in to the new material.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 1:39 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Depending on the age of the kayak I wonder if you have a warranty claim. I would take it to a dealer in the first instant as it seems both problems are quite unusual. We have a V1 Sport with the original rudder lines which are well used and holding up well.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 1:43 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Macdaddy wrote:
Hi, I hope someone can help me with this:

My steering line has broken several times at the place where the line comes though the rudder drum bolt. I guess line rubs on the edge of the hollow stainless steel drum bolt and then breaks. This has happen twice over the last year and I don't use my Kayak that often.

If any body can make a repair suggestion I'd sure appreciated it....It really sucks when your rudder give up the ghost while Ocean Kayaking.

Also, the screws that are used to secure the steering lines are screwed into plastic and one of the screws is stripped. Can anyone give me advice on a fix for this.

Thank you,

Mac

Call a dealer and get these things repaired or replaced. The bolt with a sharp burr can cause the cut line issue - we have updated our process on this part with our bolt vendor to make them smoother. Warranty is a simple process, just call your nearest dealer 1800hobie49 - or click the dealer finder link at the top of this page.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 9:09 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thank you Jacques!!

You may also suggest to Hobie engineers; use brass or stainless inserts for the screws in the rudder that lock the steering line down.

All the Best,
Mac