Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:41 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 4:08 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I'm new to kayaking and have bought an Outback. I have been researching car roof racks and loading systems as I will be putting the kayak up there by myself a lot. Basic question here...should I transport the Outback keel up or down? I'm thinking keel up is best, but so far I have found Yakima Showboat that loads from the rear onto saddles, with the keel down. Also Malone Telos that loads onto J cradles, and the kayak is carried sort of sideways. So if keel up is preferred, I haven't found a loader that does this. I am thinking Thule aero crossbars for the factory rails on the car as Yakima doesn't fit. This eliminates round bars and Yakima Boatloader.

So: 1) keel up or down and 2) any loader suggestions?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 9:51 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Mounted on top of my 2007 Subaru Outback were 2 Yakima 66" crossbars, 4 Grab rails, 4 Mako saddles and the Showboat loader.
My 2010 Hobie Outback loaded and road like a dream keel down in this set up.
Make sure you attach both a bow and stern safety line for highway travel.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 6:29 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I have a roof rack on my old car and I transport my Hobie Outback keel up and it is only really fastened with two large elastic bungie cords. Really. Yes, I do have a loosly fitted a line to the front and one to the back, but these are only going to come into play if something goes wrong. I have gone many miles now using just the bungie cords. The front one goes around the kayak and the back one is going through the skupper holes and around the roof rack, but that is all that is needed to hold it on. I have gone this way over 85 mph, but keep that quiet. If I am going to drive over a hundred miles or so, I also bring a strap around the middle and through the car door openings (and close the doors on it), but that is probably not really needed.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2013 4:10 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

And poop happens sometimes when carrying a kayak roof top......or even on a trailer that the kayak was not properly secured.......I have seen photos of roof racks ripped off the roof of suv's and cars with the kayak still attached.....at least you do have three lines that I would consider to being critical for safety and I would not eliminate them.....IMO, that would be responsible thing to do for the safety of others around your vehicle.