Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 3:50 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2012 9:45 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I have a 2001 Hobie Mirage tandem and I'm trying to find a dolly cart (or photos) for it. This old kayak does not have the scupper holes the new ones have, so the regular Hobie carts won't work with it. Any suggestions? :?

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2012 9:55 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I use a C-tug for my Hobie Outback and I like it as you do not need to turn the kayak 90 degrees to mount it on the standard scupper mount cart.
The standard C-tug tires/wheels are very robust too.
You do not have this issue and in any case, this link will show you how many different carts are in the market.
http://www.outdoorplay.com/Kayak-Carts
8)

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2012 1:36 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

C-tug.

Easy to load via tripod stand and pads vs poking the thing into scupper holes. No rust. Breaks down for stowage (assuming a large enough hatch). Also, because you can site the cart at any point along the length of the hull you can control the load fulcrum & therefore how much weight needs to be lifted at the bow to tow the kayak - important with a heavy boat.

The only -ve I have found with the C-tug is that the straps may not be long enough for a big fat kayak and the standard buckle on the straps may slip if you pull a heavy yak through soft sand that bogs the wheels down (the new hard plastic sand wheels that are available for the cart may help reduce bogging down in sand - I have inflatable tyres on mine). That said, it is easy and cheap to upgrade both straps and buckle and once done I think this cart is as good as any on the market.

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 8:24 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I found these DIY instructions online. Very thorough and well-illustrated.
[url]
http://palmettokayakfishing.blogspot.co ... build.html[/url]

I modified mine to accommodate my scupper holes (use 4-way tees on top w/ reduction to 3/4" pipe).

Cost an entire $30 and was actually a fun project.