Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 11:02 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2013 4:25 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Crap. That cart solution does not work. The PVC simply has to go all the way through the hull and it doesn't. The opening inside the kayak is much smaller than the outside diameter of the PVC. I'm going to have to grind down the PVC outside diameter and get it to go through. Then it is back to the drawing board on the wheel cart. If I can't get a wheel cart to work, I may have to pursue this as a warranty hull replacement after all. You simply have to be able to put in / take out wherever you want without having to use a trailer to do so. I'm talking beaches, sand bars, etc. What a crappy thing to happen to a nice kayak.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2013 6:52 pm 
Hobie Approved Guru

Kevin, looking at your hull, I'm guessing you may have a 2007 or 2008 Adventure. It sounds like Hobie has offered to send you a free replacement plus shipping charges. There have been a number of improvements in the hull since then including Click N Go Drive retention system (important improvement), new rudder design (AI version), reinforced scuppers and some minor changes (seat retention system, better side pocket bungees, improved PE, new side handles, hull flotation). It looks like your AI kit is relatively recent (second generation akas) -- you would have essentially a new rig that should be a lot easier to bolt up than our original Adventure (if you could get the AI version sent). This should extend the life span of your boat for more than the 5+ years difference in hulls and increase the value of your rig by at least your out of pocket expenses. Remember, the price on the new models is a few hundred more than your original boat so you're getting more features and a more reliable hull included in this price.

If feasible, and if Hobie would agree to send the AI replacement (I don't see why they wouldn't), this would warrant your serious consideration IMO. 8)

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 2:43 am 
Site Rank - Captain

It is a 2011 kayak. In 2012, I bought the AI upgrade kit, which consisted of all 2012 parts. If Hobie reinforced the scupper holes on Adventures, it would have happened in the 2012 or 2013 model. Black Creek Outfitters said that Hobie was going to make me pay $700 plus shipping and although they didn't mention this, I imagine I might have to pay to have the aka mounts transferred to the new hull. So we are talking about a grand. Nope. I will put some more work into reinforcing the holes and I guess work on a better cart solution.

Update: I ended up having to shove 3/4" PVC inside 1" PVC because at the top of the scupper holes, even a grinded down 1" PVC pipe would not fit. I didn't even get the 3/4" PVC through the top holes, but it was a much better fit. The PVC is held in place with Gorilla Glue. I ordered a welding kit and HPDE welding rods and am going to use that, too. Wheel cart design is "back to the drawing board". I'll post a pic when done. By the way, I've read somewhere that Gorilla Glue isn't supposed to bond to polyethylene and maybe it doesn't bond all that well, but it does expand like crazy and I think that'll do for in between the PVC and kayak (inside scuppers). I'll probably grind it down where I can get to it and weld polyethylene, maybe even sealing over the scupper holes altogether by welding on a flat sheet of polyethylene. Definitely do not want a leak.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2013 1:39 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Scupper holes were repaired with a Hobie plastic welder and some polyethylene rods.

I redesigned my Hobie plug in cart so it does not use the scupper holes (which should still work at original purpose).

I cut most of the legs off the cart and fastened the cart to padded PVC tubes using wire lock pins. I used wire lock pins to hold the PVC crossmember piece onto the side pieces, too, so I could disassemble the cart without tools and store parts of it inside the kayak. The cart is just held up against the underside of the kayak with 48" bungee cords.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2013 9:12 pm 
Hobie Approved Guru

Looks great! Whatever doesn't fit in the hatch can be stowed in the cargo well:
or the foredeck:
8)