Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 1:48 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: hobie kayak rentals USVI
PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 6:57 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I am going to St. John USVI in April and I have been trying to find Hobies down there. It looks like the only place down there that carries them is St. Croix. I was hoping to rent a Adventure island or Tandem Island, Revo, or a Pro Angler. I have a friend that lives down there. I was considering sending one of my kayaks down there but it is not realistic. I have 4 Kayaks 2 are hobies I have a 2011 revo and 2013 PA 14. I hope to get a Tandem island next year! :) Is there a place down there that I just cant find or does one not exist? On a side note if anyone on these forums lives in St. John and would be willing to rent it to me let me know. Thanks!

Mike

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 10:05 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

I am not going to be able to help you much, since I haven't lived there for a long time. Most of my time was on St Croix, but I did spend some time on both other islands.

St John doesn't have much on that island, if anything is available it would be on St Thomas. The trip to St John would be OK if you are use to big water, wind and strong currents. There are only a couple of calm water days on the islands a year so you are always going to have a good wind. Certain sides of each island are not going to be assessable, the lea of each island would be ok but a current is always present. In the four years I lived there if I had my kayak I doubt that I would have ever taken it out of the yard.

Shipping is out of the question because of cost. The best you are going to do is find someone that shipped one down there in their with household goods.

Good Luck

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 12:52 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

You are probably lucky if you didn't find a Tandem Island to rent on St Thomas.

We are here on vacation for a week and the typical winds here (all the time we have been here so far) seem to be 15-20 mph all from one direction.
From the balcony of house we are renting which is on the shore looking right at St Johns, I have not seen calm enough water for me to be comfortable taking my TI out, even if I had brought it along.
We live in SW Florida and the Keys and have our TI out most weekends year round, our boat is pretty hardened for offshore use with big twin outboards and massive sailsets. Just don't think it would be any fun for me here.

Here is a video of me watching a couple 60 footers struggling along in front of the house at a speed I would be embarrassed about ( I don't like slow ( lol)).
These boats are bobbing around like bobbers, I can't imagine what that would be like in my TI (not fun for sure).

Might be ok on the leward side of St Johns in a couple of the bays, but how far you gonna go.

I haven't seen any small sail boats out at all, most everything I'm seeing is 40 ft minimum.

Here is the video from my phone:
https://youtu.be/Ei8razfAH-Y

FE