Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 7:43 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Clevis pin lock rings
PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2010 12:31 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I own a PA. The lock ring for the rear clevis pin on the mirage drive has become increasingly deformed over time, as if it is pushing up against something while in use. The ring is flattened out and the rings have separated. Has anyone else noticed this happening? If so, what can be done? Also, does anyone have any ideas for a more durable substitiute for the lock rings?

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2010 5:37 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Don't know how to attach a link to a post. Search "Floating Fins" for a discussion and recommendations about the pins.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2010 7:23 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Hi Damfisher,
I had the same thing happen to my PA over the 4th of July weekend but it happened while I watched a relative take it for a test drive. I'm confident the cause was from the fins slapping against the hull as the rider was applying a bit too much pressure at the end of their stroke. I know the lock ring was fine before they used it! I inspected the underside of the hull and noticed a double groove dent which matched the lock ring. It was stretched out/elongated exactly as you describe. I'm sure what happened is the lock ring got sandwiched between the fin and hull while on edge and the pressure applied at the end of the stroke is what caused the deformation.
I can't be sure this is what caused your lock ring to deform but try easing up at the end of each stroke and see if that does the trick. Also, see if setting the Mirage drive arms to the next size and move the seat back forward a tad and see if that works. I played with those two variables until I was just shy of being able to lock my knee at full extension. Everything worked perfectly until I allowed an over lubricated onlooker to take it for a spin! I ordered 8 more lock rings from my dealer just in case.
Good luck! I hope you're well and catching lots!
GR8 Laker
PS. Please let us know what you end up doing to resolve the issue.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2010 10:29 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Same thing happened to one of my lock rings. I noticed it was deformed, but still functioning. I ordered an "emergency repair kit" so to speak from Austin Kayaks.

8 lock rings
4 clevis pins
3 rudder pins

I still need to obtain a spare Turbo mast and fin to carry with me just in case. Cheers.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 9:57 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Has anyone considered using a stainless steel cotter key in place of the lock ring?
It surely will not deform or possibly fall off the clevis pin and if sized correctly, will not hit/contact the hull. :idea:

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 3:09 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Same thing happened to me durng 1st week of use. Somewhere on this site someone suggested removing the split ring on each fin, pulling out the pin, putting it in the opposite way & putting the split ring back on. Have not had the same problem since ... two months later.

It would appear that the split ring does not hit the hull as hard the other way around. Of course, I also adjusted the peddle shafts to position 5 which prevents me from peddling the fins against the hull on every stroke.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 3:22 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

The Mirage Drive has a wide range of adjustment for length leg and pedal stroke. But it is not infinite. You may find that one setting is just a little too much, and the next is just a bit too little.

One solution is to add or remove from the padding on the drive pedals. Often it only takes a few millimeters to allow perfect leg extension with out any chance of running the fins against the hull. For instance, just going from my regular water shoes to barefoot completely changes my MD setting. It doesn't take much.