Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:49 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 9:32 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I have a 2011 Oasis with the dual rudder controls, and the "Rudder Down" control line has become detached, as you can see in the photos below. I've searched the forums, and consulted the Twist and Stow PDF Manual, but can't find anything showing this particular issue. (It appears to me that Hobie still has not provided any documentation on the dual rudder controls. :cry: )

It's my "theory" that the small knot in the spectra line coming from the rudder slipped out of the Hog Ring which connects the end of the shock cord and the black nylon line which routes through the pulley block to the T-handle. I'm not positive that this is the way it was attached, but it seems plausible. (If so, this would indicate that Hobie might find a better method).

I'm looking for any confirmation that this is the way it was / should be connected, and a method to re-attach (without dismantling the entire line from the rudder). Due to the location, it's pretty impossible to tie a knot or replace the Hog Ring at the attachment point. My current plan is to attach a small caribiner to the spectra line and then clip it to the Hog Ring (between the shock cord and the black nylon cord). It seems like that should work, without putting undue stress on the other cords.

Edit: As I think more about it, I believe that by threading a small (1/2" to 3/4") key ring to the Hog ring itself will provide a better attachment point for the caribiner.

Any ideas or comments ???